Question Any Cyrus experts / advice sought?

Ja55

I bought my 6vs amp and 6s cd player pretty much by accident by bidding on flea bay without actually looking into / knowing about them other than Cyrus makes good kit. I've been pleasantly surprised. I've had the kit about a year and thought about improving it so asked Cyrus support what my upgrade options would be with the 6vs but they said it can't be updated (which is confusing as I thought upgrading was the whole Cyrus thing).

So i'm thinking of upgrading to an 8 amp but there are several versions - 8, 8a, 8vs, 8vs2, 8x, 8xp, 8xpd
The differences aren't obvious, not sure of release order, which is better?

Also would it be better to go with an older pre amp and power amp combo?

Does adding psx-r really improve all the kit including cd players?

Would it be better to get older kit with psx-r?

I've seen several power amps - xpa, smart power, 6 power amp, 8 power amp but again differences aren't obvious. They all seem to be rated 50wpc.

I've also seen some straight line amplifiers and don't know where they fit into things?

Thanks
Jas

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Looking on ‘tinternet the 6vs does not have the PSXR port so as Cyrus stated can’t be updated. It does have preouts so you could add one of the various power amps from Cyrus or other manufacturers. The same for the 6cd, no PSXR port.

Costello

Looking on ‘tinternet the 6vs does not have the PSXR port so as Cyrus stated can’t be updated. It does have preouts so you could add one of the various power amps from Cyrus or other manufacturers. The same for the 6cd, no PSXR port.
I’ve had a few pieces of Cyrus kit. I had a 6VS2 amplifier which was very good: a light, airy and pacy sound. I also had a 6a which was also very good but the pick was an 8DAC. There is, in my experience, quite a step up from 6 series to 8 series. I never tried them with PSX power supplies but many Cyrus fans rave over them. Styling is love it or hate it territory.

wine man

8xp was analogue only, 8xpd had a DAC built in so included digital inputs alongside the analogue inputs. There was also 8xpdqx which had an even better DAC. As a rule the 8 series can be upgraded with the PSXR, not so the 6 series. There is a table on the Cyrus website which shows which products can still be serviced and/ or upgraded.

Ja55

Would adding a power amp to the 6vs be better than upgrading to one of the 8amps?

wine man

Not necessarily as the preamp section of the 6vs would be a limiting factor. The 8 series amps are a league above the 6 series, plus they give you an upgrade option with the PSXR's.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom