Any current VCR recommendations?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jdanielp, Jun 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality sub 100 pound VCR at the moment? looking to replace my 7 year old Sanyo Nicam model which is starting to make squeaking noises and gradually loses position on the tape... things like effective widescreen recording and auto triggering from a digital box would be handy... is S-VHS actually worth it without buying the special tapes? :lesson:

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    SVHS won't work without the proper tapes, SVHS ET will but needs good tapes for good results and you might as well buy SVHS to start with! The cheap(ish) packs of JVC SV in Dixons are more than good enough for timeshifting.

I have to point out though, after getting a PVR last year I've used my VCR's just a couple of times. Unless you 'archive' a lot of tapes I wouldn't worry about recordings, get a PVR instead. A SVHS deck won't improve playback of old VHS tapes either.

3. jdanielp

jdanielp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    the main reason for getting a new one now would be so that I would have a good machine to playback my VHS tapes for the long term (assuming it doesn't break down of course!), for example the original, unblemished Star Wars trilogy... would also be using it for a bit of recording initially but I do intend to get a PVR at some point in the not too distant future to cover that aspect.

sounds like S-VHS might be a bit pointless at this stage given that I already have quite a few normal VHS tapes, but would S-VHS ET be worth getting over a decent 'standard' VCR?

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I too am have beencasting around for a new VCR for the same reasons (large VHS collection).
    Am blowed if I can find any pointers/reviews VCRs ignored although there is still a lot of life in that old dog.
    Maybe the industry push to get us all to buy DVD recorders, Hidef and HTPC has resulted in all the mags/rags just forgetting about VCRs completely ? Surely the manufacturers can't have that much influence over the comics ???
    Yeah, right.

Its a PITA.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    VCRs are now a dead market - no money in it, also no market for top end VCRs like there was 15 years ago.

6. jwright118

jwright118
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

The Sharp range of vcrs are fairly good, and under 100 quid. If you end up not upgrading to s-vhs, youd do a lot worse than getting another sanyo.

Out of interest was that sanyo nicam vcr your replacing black in colour? Only i had one of the black nicam models up to a couple of years ago, it was only when id to replace it i realised the long-play quality of it was unbelievable, almost as good as other vcr's short-play quality.

7. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think Empire direct are doing Panasonic SVHS machines for about £150. When they drop the price to £100 then are the only ones worth buying IMO. Last for several years at least. :)

8. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Caveat: both decks are a few years old - I'm happy with my Panasonic SVHS NV SV120 deck, not so happy with my JVC HR-S6955 which has eaten a few tapes. The Panasonic seems better playing old VHS tapes as well.

I got my Panasonic electricaldiscountuk, they seem to have a reasonable range still.

(May have no relevance to current players or VHS decks of course)

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    You'll most certainly benefit from a 'Time Base Corrector' (TBC), especially when you get round to copying your tapes to DVD. It basically stabilises playback and cna iron a few tape jitters on old tapes.

AFAIK, this feature is only available on the 'top end' (if you can call them that nowadays!) SVHS VCRs like those of JVC and Panasonic.