Any correlation between ISP and how bad your lag is? (redux)

Do you experience lag in Black Ops - pick the answer that fits best

• I’m with BT Infinity and have had a lot of problems with lag

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m with TalkTalk and have had a lot of problems with lag

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kav

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I'm on 20MB Virgin Cable Broadband, in ping tests I generally get sub-30ms responses, and in other COD games, I get host a lot. However, in Black Ops, more often than not, I struggle to get a decent game where my connection feels right. Someone mentioned that it is customers who use Virgin who are experiencing the majority of the lag issues, and I wondered if there is any truth to this. Certainly when I come up against a lobby of guys from here - whom I know are on BT - the difference between what I see and what the killcam shows is ridiculous. In most cases from my perspective I will start firing my gun at them and get hit markers, but when I look at the killcam, their view shows that I haven't even started firing and they've already killed me.

I thought it would be interesting to have a poll to see if there's any consistency in responses around ISPs. I'm finding Black Ops a tightrope between fun and frustration at the moment, I really hope they sort out the problems soon. Treyarch's level of support is looking promising so far - fingers crossed this gets addressed as well so I and others experiencing this problem can enjoy the game the way it's intended to be enjoyed.

Last edited:
Im on BT broadband, the only decent provider i can get in Northern Ireland. Speedtest result below, not great but i cant change provider :thumbsdow
I get the odd game with lag but im maintaining a 2.32 K/D so i cant complain.

I'm considering upping my virgin 20mb to one of the 'uber' deals they do - but I'm gonna wait and see how this poll pans out first !

I've got Virgin 50Mb and I pretty much always get a decent conection. The only times I've struggled is when I've jumped into friends game and then everyone apart from one player has 2 or 1 bar. Interestingly, since giving my xbox a static IP address I'm host about 75% of the time. I was never ever the host in MW2.

30Mb Down - 3 Mb Up here.
Not had any lag problems.

how do you know if you're the host in a game- is there an icon of some sort?

how do you know if you're the host in a game- is there an icon of some sort?

Bring the leader board up at the begining of the game before it's started and the person with 4 green bars while everyone else has 1 red one is host.

Bring the leader board up at the begining of the game before it's started and the person with 4 green bars while everyone else has 1 red one is host.

That, and the gold hat they're wearing in-game. :smashin:

Im with Sky. No cable Or fibre where I live....2 min walk from biggest Uni in bristol!

Get slowish speeds, about 3 meg down.
No lag issues really, had some early on before swapping to thier 'gamer' profile. But all good now.

Redoing to include other ISPs.

I'm on 20MB Virgin Cable Broadband, in ping tests I generally get sub-30ms responses, and in other COD games, I get host a lot. However, in Black Ops, more often than not, I struggle to get a decent game where my connection feels right. Someone mentioned that it is customers who use Virgin who are experiencing the majority of the lag issues, and I wondered if there is any truth to this. Certainly when I come up against a lobby of guys from here - whom I know are on BT - the difference between what I see and what the killcam shows is ridiculous. In most cases from my perspective I will start firing my gun at them and get hit markers, but when I look at the killcam, their view shows that I haven't even started firing and they've already killed me.

I thought it would be interesting to have a poll to see if there's any consistency in responses around ISPs. I'm finding Black Ops a tightrope between fun and frustration at the moment, I really hope they sort out the problems soon. Treyarch's level of support is looking promising so far - fingers crossed this gets addressed as well so I and others experiencing this problem can enjoy the game the way it's intended to be enjoyed.

I've got a pretty solid connection - 24mb and 1.4mb and I'm having the same sort of problems.

I personally don't think it's a connection issue, I reckon it's poor netcode.

Hopefully a patch might sort it.

I've got a pretty solid connection - 24mb and 1.4mb and I'm having the same sort of problems.

I personally don't think it's a connection issue, I reckon it's poor netcode.

Hopefully a patch might sort it.

It has to be mate, otherwise we would experience the issue in all games. They are making all the right noises about fixing it, so here's hoping. :smashin:

on BT infinity it hasnt made much difference, still totally random, some games people go down like they should, others a whole clip and nada. i think everyone is in the same leaking shonky boat. i always seem to get picked for groundwar hosting now and that seems much more playable than it use to be

A 3 bar was the best I could expect on MW2 but I've had a lot of 4 bars on Black Ops. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to count for anything because I definitely have a worse connection/harder time getting kills. I was just watching some videos from Luke and Schro and I almost never get kills using twice as many bullets as they did which is apparent when I fire half a clip into someone and they turn around and hip fire 2-3 bullets to drop me.

I almost never get kills using twice as many bullets as they did which is apparent when I fire half a clip into someone and they turn around and hip fire 2-3 bullets to drop me.

That is my experience with pretty much every kill in Black Ops. It's utterly pointless me trying to enter a Wager Match, may as well throw my CP away. Fire at someone, get a few hit markers (I think five is the most I've had), go after them, they spin around and cut me down with one short burst.

Im with BE on a 20mb connection that usually measure at 7mb. Any sustained lag I have had during games is due to the host's conenction, usually because they are from a different country. If there is horrific lag then it doesnt usually last that long because it kicks the host out. IMO i think alot of it is exaggerated or just an excuse for losing.

IMO i think alot of it is exaggerated or just an excuse for losing.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say that. If I could be arsed I would do a montage of my killcams that invariably show me either not even firing my gun, or more often firing it way off to the left or right of the person who killed me, because that's where it looks like they are on my screen. I'm not making it up as an excuse for lack of ability. My K/D in TDM is actually okay (for me), so it's not about losing all the time, it's just about the imbalance.

I'm in the same boat as Frank, On 20MB Virgin Cable BB with fibre optic. I was having really bad problems so hassled them to look into it. They sent me a new modem, did something their end and I'm having alot less lag but still having the odd bad game where nothing seems to work or hit or I'm transported around my spawn point like a puppet but I'm now thinking this is another thing that needs to be fixed like others have said.

Im with BE on a 20mb connection that usually measure at 7mb. Any sustained lag I have had during games is due to the host's conenction, usually because they are from a different country. If there is horrific lag then it doesnt usually last that long because it kicks the host out. IMO i think alot of it is exaggerated or just an excuse for losing.

Not sure I agree with that George. It's got alot better for me since last week but if I join someone elses game it's totally hit or miss on how my connection to that game is. In MW2 you had the bit telling you that you were searching for 50ms ping games and so on upwards. If you join in a mates game how do you know if its not a 120ms ping game?

If it was people complaining about going into games themselves and finding horrible problems I'd be inclined to agree with you but going in with a party/joining friends, someone usually has issues with lag. This used to happen in MW2 but very infrequently. I could usually join a mate and be fine, in B'ops its 50/50 on whether I have a good connection or not. But MW2 had many problems at the begining and it's only been out for ONE week so I think it needs to be given a chance, they are making the right noises about fixing it.

Your just lucky, nothing to do with you being good or ought :p

i raised this point over on SFFA the other day mate too.

As most of you probably already know, i didn't get on too well with MW2. :D The main reason was the same problems other people are now having. I struggled in about 75% of games. the whole thing became a frustrating mess most of the time, and the amount of rage quitting i did must have set new records. :laugh:

However, BOps is completely different. I am loving the game because it plays like i remember WAW and even COD4 playing for me. I've had hardly any lag since i got it, i can have very few complaints over how i've been killed, i'm winning 50/50's, and i can actually take people down with a few bullets. basically i'm loving the game right now.

So why?

The way i see it is the game is a constant for everyone in it's design. The biggest variable in the game has to be the connection from your ISP. Okay i know there are different guns and skill levels, but just using last night as an example I was taking kav down with a pistol and even got Bearman a few times. :eek: which would never normally happen. :nono:

i find it's no coincidence that as the poll currently stands, O2 and BE are coming out the best. BE are my ISP and everything with BOps is spot on. For those on O2/BE did you experience problems like I did on MW2? Could it be that certain games are programmed somehow that can be affected online by your ISP? I'm no technical whizz, but there has to be something in this. I cannot understand how MW2 was so bad, but BOps is practically perfect. And I haven't changed anything to do with my connection. :confused:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to say that. If I could be arsed I would do a montage of my killcams that invariably show me either not even firing my gun, or more often firing it way off to the left or right of the person who killed me, because that's where it looks like they are on my screen. I'm not making it up as an excuse for lack of ability. My K/D in TDM is actually okay (for me), so it's not about losing all the time, it's just about the imbalance.

Not sure I agree with that George. It's got alot better for me since last week but if I join someone elses game it's totally hit or miss on how my connection to that game is. In MW2 you had the bit telling you that you were searching for 50ms ping games and so on upwards. If you join in a mates game how do you know if its not a 120ms ping game?

If it was people complaining about going into games themselves and finding horrible problems I'd be inclined to agree with you but going in with a party/joining friends, someone usually has issues with lag. This used to happen in MW2 but very infrequently. I could usually join a mate and be fine, in B'ops its 50/50 on whether I have a good connection or not. But MW2 had many problems at the begining and it's only been out for ONE week so I think it needs to be given a chance, they are making the right noises about fixing it.

Your just lucky, nothing to do with you being good or ought :p

Sorry didnt mean to offend, fer enuff if Im wrong, but i just dont seem to come across game crippling lag that much. Maybe I have just got use to it.

Im not saying you guys use it as an excuse, far from it. But you have to admit it can be an easy excuse for some people to use? Especially people that make alot of noise and therefore can be exeggerated.

Last edited:
As a Virgin 50Mb user I voted "had few if any problems with lag".

There are some lag issues which were worst on release night (no shock there). I do still get some lag but if i'm honest i can't blame my connection for my bad results! I get host at least 50% of the time, but mostly i can't even tell unless i look (the game runs smoothly regardless).

I've had Virgin for 2 months and it made a huge difference with MW2. My old ADSL line (Nildram, but the IP address came back as Talktalk) always had lag issues, ground war was not playable, one on one gun battles were hard to win. I got most of my kills my listening for victims and knowing they were round the corner!

IMO the networking of Black Ops doesn't run as smoothly as MW2 yet, but we are still in the public beta test :laugh:

Sorry didnt mean to offend, fer enuff if Im wrong, but i just dont seem to come across game crippling lag that much. Maybe I have just got use to it.

Im not saying you guys use it as an excuse, far from it. But you have to admit it can be an easy excuse for some people to use? Especially people that make alot of noise and therefore can be exeggerated.

Not at all mate, and yes you are quite right I have heard people moaning after the final kill cam and I've watched them spray an entire clip at someone and hit nothing but air and claim the lag is awful and they should be taking people down quicker :facepalm: I have sympathy for people who have no chance in a 50/50's but if you can fire an entire clip and hit nothing thats just an exscuse. Getting 20 hit markers and then being shot in the shins once and dying is another matter entirely :D

No offence taken mate. That's partly what this thread is about, to see if it's tied to any particular group of people and their ISP, as opposed to something that randomly hits everyone. To be fair it's probably much too small a sample to be meaningful, but it makes for some conversation at least. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom