Any compelling reason to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sutton8, Aug 3, 2012.

1. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I'm currently using a Panasonic 210 BD as my main player. It is last years version. I'm not too interested in the player market but am wondering are there any new worthwhile features out on 2012 3d capable models that make it worth considering an upgrade?

My player is fine and I can't imagine any leaps but interested to hear of anything since I don't follow the market. Up to 350.

2. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Let me narrow this to see if there is any opinion. Would I see any improvement in picture and sound upgrading the bdt210 to this years bdt500?

I connect via HDMI to a denon 3312 amp. About 50/50 BD and DVD.

It's around 280 and I don't want to pay that just for a gimmicky track pad remote.

3. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    A used Cambridge Audio/Oppo player is within budget and will provide better 1080i and DVD picture quality, at least, and a UI/UX that makes the Panasonic, etc., players seem like toys, in my experience. Last weekend I compared a BDT220 with a 650BD. The Panasonic player was returned to the shop, whereas the CA player remains.

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Here's a review of Panasonic 210 that provides a bit more objective feedback regarding setting that affect image attributes. Under certain settings the player can achieve reference 1080p/24 Blu-ray data output.

As for "improvement" in 1080p/24 Blu-ray picture this very much depends how you define improvement. There are numerous thing that can be done to manipulate the image to make it look different from reference. Some may call the result an improvement.

Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray Player - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity