1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any comments or reviews on Panasonic models, TX28PM1, TX28PM11, TX28DTX1, TX28DT4

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by greekheroes, Aug 7, 2004.

1. greekheroes

greekheroes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am keen to purchase a Panny 28" and want to hear comments or reviews on the latest models; TX28PM1, TX28PM11, TX28DTX1 OR TX28DT10.

There is a suspicious lack of information or reviews on these models anywhere on the web. Any users?

Many Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I have the TX28DTX10 and I've been having a few problems with moire/visible phosphors to the left and right of the picture. These seem to plague sets of most makes, from what I've seen, but are worse on my set. I've heard, though that it can be reduced by tweaking some geometry settings.

The picture took a while to get how I like it, but it's beautifully sharp and free from noise and movement. It doesn't suffer from the blurring and artifacting associated with 100Hz sets (or, at least, not that I have noticed.) The sound is also excellent - very clear. Mind you, I had been watching a 17" set with a terrible speaker for some years prior to getting my new set.

If I can sort out the moire problem (or at least reduce it), I'll be very happy with it.

3. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    There's a review of the TX28DTX10 in the new What Video and Widescreen TV. It got 4/5 overall. They didn't like the sound, which I have actually been very impressed with. They also pointed out some minor flaws in the picture which I haven't noticed on mine (and I'm not about to start looking for them!).

4. Isamu Chan

Isamu Chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. First post.

I don't have any knowledge of these models either, but would like to ask, too, if anyone has experience of them. I'm wondering about the TX28PM1 in particular - I think my budget could only stretch that far ...

I liked the looks of these models too - but, as greekheroes says, there seems no information available on them via google. I only saw the "What?" rating at the Comet website for the TX28PM1 (all "C" ratings). Btw, that model seems to have disappeared from Comet's site - it was available for around £365 online - compared to £530 on Argos' site.

If anyone has one of these, I'd really like to hear how the picture is on them.

Thanks!

5. tiger3176

tiger3176

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI. Iv'e just bought a panasonic TX28 PM1. Can't say I'm over the moon with it. The speakers give out a high pitched whine. Does anyone know if this is usual on this model, or should I send it back. If I bought a set of speakers, ie, 5.1, would the whining sound go? I would appeciate any help here. Thanks a lot. :lease:

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You don't mention any other kit, however speakers will need an amplifier of some description to drive them. If you are concerned about the whine then try and listen to another tv in a shop to gauge a comparison.

7. Isamu Chan

Isamu Chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiger,

Sorry to hear about the sound. I am definitely *not* an expert, but could it be an interference problem from some other source nearby? If no changes, or a little settling-in time, do not help it, I think I'd sent it back.

Is the sound the only aspect of the TV you're unhappy with? One review mentioned problems with fine-detail - have you any thoughts on this? Or on the picture quality in general.

Um, also: does the casing/stand look solid up-close?

Thanks!

8. tiger3176

tiger3176

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's due to any interference. It's definately the speakers. The shop wouldn't let me take it back, ( Powerhouse), as I didn't have the box any more. I have an engineer coming out next week to take a look. As far as the picture goes, I'm certainly not an expert, but for the price it's pretty good. The casing is only for show.The stand itself is quite solid.It's only the sound I'm miffed with. Got it hooked up to NTL cable and the Toshiba rdxs 32 DVD recorder. I might have to get a decoder and some speakers in order to get 5.1. Any suggestions for something cheap as the old bank balance has gone down a bit this last couple of weeks getting all this new kit?
    Thanks.

9. aBuLhAgaG

aBuLhAgaG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiger3176, was the engineer able to correct the whine from your speakers?

10. evzy

evzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tiger 3176 - was there any improvement on the Whining - I've bought a TX28PM11 yesterday - and it appears it's got the whining noise as well. Ive sort of been listening out - it seems fairly random - but happens both when the tuner is in use and also when playing a DVD. The main times it appears to come on is when the screen is mainly white. Not sure if whites or light colours work the tube harder or something - but I would certainly hope for a perfect product for five hundered of my well earned pounds....

11. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My parents have a TX28PM12. They bought it from the Panny shop here in Scotland. I've not seen this advertised anywhere on the net, so don't know what the difference is over the TX28PM11.

Anyway, they have no issues with sound or picture and the set is about 8 months old. I was more impressed with their TV than the Sony KD-32DX200U I ordered last week - hence why I'm sending it back :(

Stefan

12. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've bought a TX28PM11 today and its makes this horrible electrical buzzing noise. Its practically constant only fading out every so often. I tried it with the sound muted, all my other equipment away from it and still the same. I'm giving it till tuesday to fix itself else i'm taking it back for a replacement. Apart from this i'm really impressed with the picture and sound.

13. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well the buzzing didn't stop, so I returned the unit for another and its all perfect now. I was told its a known problem that some units have a dodgy component.

14. Ch3tan

Ch3tan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I am also considering buying a pm11 or the model with built in dvb receiver(100hz one).

Can someone with either model confirm the inputs and outputs?

15. lmao2k

lmao2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    tx28pm11;

inputs : 1x coax areial, 2 x scart (1 RGB), 1 x svhs, 1 x rca, (vid, L & R audio)

outputs : 1 x 3.5mm audio jack, 1 x rca (L & R audio)

16. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The TX28DTX10 has the same inputs and outputs.

17. talkinghead

talkinghead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a TX28DTX1 from empire direct yesterday. It's going back tomorrow though. Two problems. The tube isn't square in the case so the viewable image slopes from left to right at the top edge. It also can't draw straight lines at screen edges especially left. Not particularly noticeable with a wide screen moving image but graphics, teletext and the tv's own menu curl out to the edge of the screen gradually getting worse towards the bottom. It's a shame because it's got some decent features too.

I've got a TX28PL1 which has been great and an old 4:3 Panasonic but this has put me off this manufacturer.

The screen edge distortion appears to be quite prevalent on widescreen tvs. I sent back a Philips widewscreen too before getting the TX28PL1. Can anyone recommend a widescreen idtv that doesn't do that? Also does that efffect have a name?

18. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    First post
    I have a panny 28dt4 idtv and its very good. Used to repair tvs years ago and think im pretty fussy. The geometry is not absolutely perfect but its damn close. Had to fiddle with the settings when i first had it but it performs well with the THX tests. Its great with digital off air and dvd through the rgb. Im glad that customers are sending back tvs that are sub standard but I do wonder if people are sometimes trying to watch a 38" set with their face 3" from the tube. I only wish that i had bought the 32"

19. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Check the citizens advice website under faulty good ,you have right as a consumer and the store will take it back if AT ALL faulty dont let them fob you off.

20. srw-uk

srw-uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to thank the previous people who took the time to post on this thread, they have made an unhappy man happy!

I bought a Panasonic TX28PM12 from Currys last week (new model due out soon, these models are flying out at bargain prices). On setting it up, I heard an electrical buzzing noise from the back of the set - not the speakers. It appears others on the forums here and elsewhere have had the same.

Anyway, managed to return the set and bought one from another branch of Currys the same day - no buzzing noise at all - the set is excellent, picture quality is really very very good.

If anyone else experiences the same, return the TV for an exchange! :thumbsup: