1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any comments on this system?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by feet14, Aug 17, 2002.

1. feet14

Standard Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    UK, West Midlands
    I'm hoping to build a system around the Asus P4S8X motherboard which should be available in a couple of weeks. I'm not interested in overclocking but silent running, stability and reasonable performance as I will be using it for games. Most of the components I hope to buy from komplett.co.uk, with the memory direct from crucial and Lian-Li case from kustom.

The mobo supports 400/533 P4's, Serial ATA(for Hard disks and CD/DVD drives), AGP 8X, ATA/133, Firewire ports, USB 2.0 ports, up to DDR 333 memory, onboard LAN and 6-channel sound with optional s/pdif bracket (whch I will be having). Basically, everything I need is onboard. I've not heard of any problems with Asus motherboards but if there are certain issues then I'd like to know.

I'm not quite sure about how the memory works - does the FSB change if I use DDR266 instead of 333? I don't want to slow the whole machine just by using slower memory.

Here's the spec:

Lian-Li PC7 or PC60 £90/£120
    (Get the 60 with adjustable fans or the 7 without and replace fans with papst ones?)

Enermax "Whisper series" PSU £59
    Asus P4S8X mobo £123
    S/pdif bracket £9
    Pentium 4 2.0GHz Northwood(OEM, 400 bus) £134
    EKL Papst cooler £22 (Claims 29dBa noise level)
    256 MB PC2100/2700 £50/62

I will use my current HD until I can get a Serial ATA version Seagate Barracuda V.

I need a bit of help with the Graphics card - aiming for £100 but realistically £150 is my limit. Which boards would make a stable combination with the mobo? Perhaps one of Asus's own models? S-video out is essential, don't care about DVI as I will be using CRT's. Preferably passively cooled, otherwise I will need to buy something like the Zalman GPU cooler. Are there any alternatives to the Zalman (not watercooling)?

As for optical drives, I'm thinking of buying a 32-speed CD-RW from jungle.com for £35 and a 16x Region-free Pioneer DVD.

Thanks for any suggestions.