1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any comments on the Dell UltraSharp 2001FP?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Brogan, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    There's a pretty good price for a Dell UltraSharp 20" 2001FP TFT monitor in the power buys forum.

After a bit of searching I've found that the screen is an LG.Philips LCD LM201U04.

Anyone know anything about these displays?
    Are they any good?

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
  3. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If big screen gaming is your bag then the Dell is an excellent choice. Own one myself and it delivers big time. 16ms response on a 20.1" screen says it all and I believe 12ms is in the not too distant future, so everything is looking good for lcd to take over the world. ;)

I don't know how much it costs in the power buy but I got one before they became available in the UK from a guy in Perth, paid £585 as I recall but I would have thought you could get a better deal now. Oh yeah, no dead pixels either. Nice!

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    It's going for about £550 as a power buy so it's a good saving over the 'retail' price of £800+.

I don't actually play games on the PC but I do work from home so thought it would be good for Word, Excel, etc.
    I've got a 17" CRT at the moment which I've had for almost 4 years so I'm about due for a change...

5. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the screen has a rotating pedestal so word processing should be a whiz! I use the DVI connection which is visibly superior to the analogue input and produces a very clear and crisp picture indeed. As flat panels go it has so much to offer, can't help feeling it would be wasted on spreadsheets :confused:

6. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Shushhhhhhh, the other half/boss/<insert 'nemesis'> might hear!

:laugh:

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    I see your point but I do spend about 12-14 hours a day staring at the damn thing so I need a decent monitor.
    I would be happy with a 17" but the price of the 20" is a steal so it's got to be worth it.
    Anyway, some of my spreadsheets are 10MB in size, have 40 or more worksheets and a single worksheet can cover over 10 pages of A4 so it's not your simple household accounts we're talking about here... ;)
    It would be used for other stuff but I was just making the point that I don't use the PC for games or watching DVDs so the monitor doesn't need to be the best performing in that respect.

Thanks for your feedback - very useful. :smashin:

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    No worries there.
    The 'boss' lets me buy whatever I want, as long as it keeps me happy. :D