Any CODites played Killzone 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisoldinho

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Reviews seem good, graphics look phenominal and video's i've seen seem very impressive.

Where would gamers put this in relation to the online awesomeness that is COD. (I mainly play online hence for the specific online question).

I don't know how good COD is on the PS3 but on the 360 COD4 and WaW are just brilliant online. I am referring mainly to the game engine, physics etc. Everything just feels as it should and it is very precise just like what you expect, takes me back to the days of other classics like Quake/Half-Life (different genre but same tactile interface).

Is KillZone 2 like COD in terms of feel, or it is a bit heavy and sluggish like I found Gears o War to be?

Thanks for any input.

Chris.

Last edited:
Only a few people have played the beta, so not many people can answer your question.

Also to be fair the full game might be a lot different to the beta.

Just to add that the full game is not out til the end of Feb (not sure you know by the tone of your post)

Last edited:
Played the Beta and was fairly impressed with the gameplay and it compares well with COD. You go into these Beta tests without high expectations as it is buggy at that stage so for it to play well has encouraged many on here. Judging by the reviews the full version is going to be something special. At £30 from shopto if you love COD I think its worth the gamble...

By all accounts it feels heavier so I'd expect a slower game than CoD.

Played the Beta and was fairly impressed with the gameplay and it compares well with COD. You go into these Beta tests without high expectations as it is buggy at that stage so for it to play well has encouraged many on here. Judging by the reviews the full version is going to be something special. At £30 from shopto if you love COD I think its worth the gamble...

Sounds encouraging mate thanks.

Is there any news on a downloadable demo yet when it's released?

Supposedly slower but also more meaty feeling, and not like you're just a floating gun like in COD. We'll have to wait and see for ourselves though I guess! :)
Also Demo of SP side should be out on the 26th of Feb.

Sounds encouraging mate thanks.

Is there any news on a downloadable demo yet when it's released?

Demo is out on Feb 26th, day before Release although i'm sre you'd get your copy of the 26th if you order from say Gameplay, shopto or GAME

Hmmm, interesting. I was hoping it would be responsive.

From what I've read, don't expect a twitch shooter like CoD, as everyone seems to say the game has more 'weight' to it and turning is slower also, meaning you'll have to be a lot more careful before charging in. Sounds good to me as CoD is a dull, and repetitive run n gun shooter (IMO)

Seemed a lot slower than cod when i played it. was still great though!:thumbsup:

I was on the beta, it was only multiplayer so that's all i can comment on. To be perfectly honest i thought there was nothing special about it, the graphics where good, but beacuse of the type(grey concrete) and size of the maps they didn't have the wow factor.

You could tell it was a solid game with nice touches, ie concrete pillars actually fall to bits when being shot or a grenade goes off near them. For me though the combat felt a bit clostrophobic, and i was often took out by people who shot me in the back beacuse i didn't know they where there. The open spaces in the maps couldn't be occupied for that long because they are always overlooked, so if you hung around you'd be took out from a window. As people have said previously the game has an notable 'weight' to it, this is good and bad, you feel like you're 'somthing' and not just a floating gun as said before, but it also can feel quite sluggish and awkward to turn and move.

I didn't play the beta as much as i should i suppose, maybe that's an indication of how good it is, i chose to play the games i already had over it. It is still a great game, but for me it was a bit 'arena-like' (cod4, team fortress, r6v) and i prefer more of a war feel to multiplayer like battlefield, graw and the bigger cod waw maps. I think they could have improved the multiplayer by keeping the cover system in from the single player, that would slow the game down a bit and make it more tactical, beacause alot of times on the beta i felt like i was playing as a battlefield soldier (bulky with high powerd weapons) in a building/town setting. I also found that the action seemed to bottleneck in certain areas, which was a bit frustrating.

All said and done i will still be getting the game, and hope they have some bigger and more varied maps on the multiplayer.

I don't really understand it when people say you're a 'floating gun' in cod4/waw

There's a distinct feeling of momentum and that of being firmly planted on two feet, especially when running but also when going prone or lying down. Killzone 2 looks to take this to a similar level to that of mirrors edge - but I reckon if you want a recent example of what a 'floating gun' feels like you should try playing fallout 3 - there's more momentum in the original Doom than that game :D

I am referring mainly to the game engine, physics etc. Everything just feels as it should and it is very precise

Its down to opinion, I think COD is:

* Too fast
* People can jump too high and too often.

and I welcome the slower, heavier feel.

played the beta like it was the last game i was ever going to play and my opinion is that this game will rule for a long time (at least till cod6 ) . the setup is heavy and u do feel it as u play, but its responsive enough and the hit detection is flawless . now i have played cod A lot and i mean clan matches since cod 2 on the ps 2 right up till WaW . killzone 2 is very different but not for the worse you do need to be more tactical about how u approach a game and teams really do need to work together . i have no doubt in my mind i wont really sniff at cod when i get this but its the type of fps i have been waiting for .

this is my opinion so don't blame me if u get the game and don't like it :D but i have a sneaking suspicion ul all love it :D

For me though the combat felt a bit clostrophobic, and i was often took out by people who shot me in the back beacuse i didn't know they where there.
Surely that's where teamwork comes into play? If you move and form lines only the outer-most person needs to worry about being flanked - but as that is their job they should be more alert, and if they die you know its down to the next person/an attack is coming.

But yes, thats partly why i prefer 3rd person shooters; as a human i have better overall vision than "realistic" FPS viewpoints, and if they'd just sort seeing around walls (ie when at a corner but your avatar isnt exposed you just saw blackness) it would be more realistic IMO. Ditto driving games, if you drive a car you get a much better feeling of awareness around you and whats coming form the side than tunnel-visioned driving videogames.

The Eurogamer review of Killzone 2 is up at 5pm. Will be worth checking out, though they don't often focus heavily on the multiplayer side of things. The "hands-on" articles also suggest a feeling of weight (which I hope doesn't equate to sluggishness).

Very interested in the progression that's offered; seems to be a mix of upgradeable abilities *and* classed (heavy, medic etc.). If this ended up as a good mix of Wolfenstein on original XB (class based = really encouraged team play) and the progression of CoD, then it'll be a treat.

I'm not sure why we need a separate thread for this as the question has already been asked and responded to in the main thread. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom