Any changes to this rig?

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

ive decided to take the plunge and get a custom gaming rig. This is the current load out I’m going for. Wondered if anyone might make any changes?

1x Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black CPU Cooler
1x G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)
1x 500GB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
1x Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING Motherboard
1x Seagate 3TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk
1x ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 Graphics Card
1x Intel Core i7-9700K CPU 8 Cores / 8 Threads 3.6 - 4.9GHz
1x Corsair RM650x 80 PLUS Gold 650W PSU
3x Noctua NF-S12A PWM Chromax 120mm Fan
1x Fractal Meshify C Dark Tempered Glass Gaming Case - Black

Personally I think that looks great.

650w power is recommended for 2080ti I believe. For some reason I prefer to get one slightly above recommended, though I know that is not necessary and quality is actually more important than output.

There is always the choice between AMD and Intel, but the CPU there has very good performance in games

Meshify C is a great case too :)

Thanks both.
Currently it’s an Acer Predafor Xb271 but am looking to change for a 4K at some point.

Are you planning on overclocking the CPU and GPU ?
might need to up the PSU to a higher one -if you are ( 750w or 850w )

Are you planning on overclocking the CPU and GPU ?
might need to up the PSU to a higher one -if you are ( 750w or 850w )

Certainly not planing on it at this stage - overclocking remains a bit of a mystery to me...

Certainly not planing on it at this stage - overclocking remains a bit of a mystery to me...
No worries , but it might be something you may look at in the future ,
it is free performance after all , ( i know it's not for everyone :))

Could be worth picking up a higher wattage PSU now , just in case you deiced too later on (better to have the "power" now and use it later on, than to need/want it and having to buy a new PSU later )

but the specs do look good :smashin:

Personally I don't see a problem with the PSU as it's a quality model. The 650W recomendations are for cheapy PSU's. I would expect that system to consume about 350W while gaming, maybe 450 when overclocked.

Just talking hypothically, I would much rather run that system with a high quality Gold 500W PSU than a cheap 750W one

Just talking hypothically, I would much rather run that system with a high quality Gold 500W PSU than a cheap 750W one
But the recommended power for this card is 650w. I don't think anyone would recommend a cheap PSU with high end components

But the recommended power for this card is 650w. I don't think anyone would recommend a cheap PSU with high end components
True, but if you have a decent PSU it'll have no problems providing the rated power for years to come. The high max ratings are just there to catch the crap PSU's, that will struggle to provide clean power near their rated maximums.

There is no way the RM650 would be wanting in this system, even when overclocked (on air or AIO). Like I said you are not going to see system power draw much above 450W from that system when gaming, even with the CPU overclocked to 5GHz.

True, but if you have a decent PSU it'll have no problems providing the rated power for years to come. The high max ratings are just there to catch the crap PSU's, that will struggle to provide clean power near their rated maximums.

There is no way the RM650 would be wanting in this system, even when overclocked (on air or AIO). Like I said you are not going to see system power draw much above 450W from that system when gaming, even with the CPU overclocked to 5GHz.
You may well be right, but if you encounter any system issues you need to rule things out one by one and the first thing you need to rule out is anything that is under the recommended spec. So why bother storing up an issue like that when it actually costs very little to actually meet the spec?

When you are spending that kind of money on a GFX card why would you try to save a few pounds buying a cheaper PSU that is below recommended specs?

No sense in it IMO

You may well be right, but if you encounter any system issues you need to rule things out one by one and the first thing you need to rule out is anything that is under the recommended spec. So why bother storing up an issue like that when it actually costs very little to actually meet the spec?

When you are spending that kind of money on a GFX card why would you try to save a few pounds buying a cheaper PSU that is below recommended specs?

No sense in it IMO
I agree, I wouldn't specifically buy an underspeced PSU, however if you are going to buy a decent gold rated PSU from the likes of Corsair's RM line, I see absolutely no point in spending more to go above 650W. That was my point.

As a gaming rig I would add another 1TB SSD on there.

As a gaming rig I would add another 1TB SSD on there.

Yes, definitely. With games like COD taking up 180GB it won’t be long before that 500gb is full.
And in a gaming system of this value, no one wants games running on a HDD!

Agree about the SSD. I got a 500GB thinking it is plenty and it's not.

Make sure that cooler fits the case! unlike me where i just assumed and it definitely did not fit :rotfl:

Agree about the SSD, are you using this PC for anything else which needs lots of space? Do you play lots of (small) Indy games? If not I' be inclined to drop the 3TB HDD and just get a 2TB SATA SSD, something from the likes of Crucial which will be cheap but reliable.

Also try and avoid the SSD's based on QLC technology, they may be cheap but performance suffers as the drives fill past the 50-75% mark, so in the end you have less usable space, which kind of negates the savings in the first palce :rotfl:

Although gameplay is rarely effected by upgrading to an SSD's, load times are much faster, as are updates. With the way current games always seem to be updating with multi-GB patches, an SSD is a no brainer for a games library.

funny reading the comments about storage space...I went to install a game today and had no room! Only just build this damn PC, so yes great advice to get more decent storage!

funny reading the comments about storage space...I went to install a game today and had no room! Only just build this damn PC, so yes great advice to get more decent storage!
I've been using a 500gb SSD for years. I have fibre so just tend to download a couple of games and then delete what I'm not playing to make space for new ones.

I've been using a 500gb SSD for years. I have fibre so just tend to download a couple of games and then delete what I'm not playing to make space for new ones.
Yea, I know I could manage it fine I have just been a bit lazy. Problem is I have to have a few games my son plays as well. So that is Fortite, Apex, TABS, TerraTech. I can't bring myself to uninstall Doom of Doom Eternal and then there is Destiny...as well as what I am currently playing!!! Oh and Battlfield's Battle Royale....

But I deleted the games people had recommended to me and I realised were not for me and all good now!

Yea, I know I could manage it fine I have just been a bit lazy. Problem is I have to have a few games my son plays as well. So that is Fortite, Apex, TABS, TerraTech. I can't bring myself to uninstall Doom of Doom Eternal and then there is Destiny...as well as what I am currently playing!!! Oh and Battlfield's Battle Royale....

But I deleted the games people had recommended to me and I realised were not for me and all good now!
Think I'm running Destiny 2, Division 2, Fallout 76 and no man's sky atm.

Think I'm running Destiny 2, Division 2, Fallout 76 and no man's sky atm.
You should give Doom Eternal a try ! :smashin:

EDIT: Sorry won't hijack anymore...!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom