Any chance of some Magic eye help?

gordy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there

For years now I've had Sky digital and had the signal amplified to the other tv's in the house without any probs through regular coax cables. (You know, the stuff with the brown casing!)

So, recently got Sky+ and decided a magic eye for the bedroom would be a good idea.

Bought one, bout a new amp with the digital bypass (slx 2b), read all the stuff on here, enabled the rf2 power, tested the magic eye straight into the rf2 output, led came on, tested it again coming out the other side of the amp, again it came on. Tested the remote with it, around the back of the Sky+ box, and it seemed to work.

so went upstairs, stuck it on the end of the cable going into the tv and again it came on.

Superb. Or so I thought. Went and got the sky+ remote to test it, and despite the led on the slx link box being on, and the red light in the eye itself working, I couldn't get a sausage from the remote.

So I guess my question to all you people out there who have experience of these things is: What the hell am I doing wrong???!!!

Is there something I need to do to enable the remote to work with the eye?
The set I bought actually came with a regular Sky remote, which I haven't tried yet, because I figured any of them would work, so is THAt the problem?

Or is there another possible reason for the signal not gettting back down the coax all the way to the Sky box, even though the power and the signal appear to be travelling okay in the other direction?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance

O.k Gordy I'll try and offer my limited knowledge, I also have an Slx 8 way distribution amp and originally a Slx magic eye,the magic eye never worked well from day 1 so changed it for a Global which works superb.As you seem to get the light flashing from your eye that does not seem to be your issue, the only other thing I know which might be a conflict is your wall sockets which I've read about somewhere due to an isolation problem but your problem does seem to be a strange one ,sorry I couldn't help more.

Thanks for your reply anyway, Gilesy.

And I don't actually have wall sockets. Coax just comes straight in from outside and is hidden by plenty of furniture so never had to worry about it being too tidy!

Ooh, mind you, further down the line, there IS a socket in the kitchen. If the signal passes through that in sequence, would that have an effect?

And if it IS that, what do I do to get rid of it?

So many bloody questions for one little gizmo!!!!

hi an ordinary sky remote will not work on a sky+ box, have you checked the cables for shorts,those little strands can be a bugger if you connect in poor light.
i have not had any dealings with the amp but the led`s come on so at least some power is getting through, can you join the cable from the sky+ to the one going to your tv, bypassing the amp to see if it works,or run a new cable up from the box just to see if it is the cable that is faulty.

kennysatman said:
hi an ordinary sky remote will not work on a sky+ box,
Not completely true, normal Sky remote can be set up to work very limited function on +, but it must be 'set up' to do so. So limited it's not worth it when you can buy another + one for about £10. Just for your info. Sorry I can't help with the actual query though!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom