• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any chance of a sub forum for completed projects?

simond83

As the title said, is there any chance of a sub forum for completed projects? The idea would be to move the DIY build threads once done and dusted to the sub forum, just so that they're easier to find. I love looking at these treads at work when i'm bored, but i can't help feeling i'm missing some crackers!

Just a thought, Simon:)

simond83

Not a bad idea Simon but there is a section for members cinema rooms here;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152ema rooms

but I think what you want is a continuation of the build itself don`t you?

cheers Allan

Thats close Allan, but they're just cinema rooms. I'm after a forum for the Hardcore DIY purpose home builds!!!! When the room it is a work in progress it should stay in the main forum. Then, about a month after completion, it should be moved to the completed DIY cinema rooms forum.

Is that clearer? Simon

inzaman

Simon it is a good idea, there are some builds in the FAQ section which show start to finish. I will see what i can do, i might run a poll first to see what everyone else thinks. Well i need to ask Stuart first and take it from there.

What does everybody else think?

russ9898

sounds a good idea to me, will be a central place people can see completed projects rather than spending hours trawling through threads to find they are only half done.

will help people see what can be achieved if they put their mind to it.

putbinoot

Banned
Would like to second a completed section, but would like to say that it should only hold posts of the build and a link to the forum where it was active and then be locked. That way people can look at the build process to get ideas and if they want to ask questions then they can do so in the original work in progress post.

jagdeepp

Banned
There is in my opinion a positive overlap already in place between the home cinema diy thread and the 'members home cinema gallery'. I just find it strange that the members home cinema gallery should be in a completely different area. Perhaps its easier just to link the two up under the same section.

I dont think its necessary to start a new sub forum, as good an idea as that may initially sound. i think all thats called for is the mods to monitor threads being opened in the members home cinema gallery which are in essence diy build projects which are work in progress and to shift them into the Home cinema diy section. Alternatively i think if both are put together under one header they should be titled as follows:

Members Home Cinema DIY (W.I.P)

{SUB SECTION} Members Home Cinema DIY > Completed Home Cinema Projects

I think that mods should exercise discretion as to when to shify a W.I.P into the 'completed' thread since for all of us works on our projects never really come to a proper end as we all endure symptoms of 'upgraditus'. Of course, it may be worth contacting the creator of the thread before shifting the project.

I'd also like to add that for me, this is the most educational section on the site and probably the reason that it gets so many hits.. I know that my thread has seen in excess of 18,000 hits in the 9-10 months that its been up, that is remarkable! I also think that its this section that acts as the inspiration for many a setup. For example i'm sure that the sale of Ikea's Tritteron lights (or whatever they are called) have significantly increased since they were shown on projects in the forums. Further, i think that mdf and battens has flown off the shelves of various hardware shelves once people have seen the many screen pelmets on display on this site.

I'd say link up the members home cinema gallery and home cinema diy. I personally hate having to go down the page to the members section having seen the diy one.

Thought i'd add my two pence worth.. sorry went on a bit!

inzaman

Thinking this through a bit more and with the comments above the other way is to maybe do what i have done. Once the build is complete then post the completed pictures in the Gallery section, within that thread post a link back to the DIY section showing your build.

stephen_

Thinking this through a bit more and with the comments above the other way is to maybe do what i have done. Once the build is complete then post the completed pictures in the Gallery section, within that thread post a link back to the DIY section showing your build.

I agree, no need for a seperate sub section when the gallery is already in place.

simond83

If i took some pictures of my set up in my front room, that would be my home cinema and should there for go in the Home Cinema Gallery thread.

If however, i came into a bit of money and decided to build a dedicated home cinema room, that would be more of a DIY project which would have a lot more info about parts and process' and stages to the build.

I can see eveyone's POV and can see the logic behind those reasons mentioned. However, i do feel that these are two seperate issues. The real confusion comes though when someone decideds to bulid a floating wall in their front room. OK, it's a DIY build project, but it's not a dedicated cinema room. That point i'm stuck on!!

Si:confused:

inzaman

The real confusion comes though when someone decideds to bulid a floating wall in their front room. OK, it's a DIY build project, but it's not a dedicated cinema room. That point i'm stuck on!!

Si:confused:

The build would be shown in this section of the forums, the finished article in members gallery :)

putbinoot

Banned
Trouble with the Gallery as it stands is it's just like here. For it to work each thread should just have one post with all the pics from start to finish and then locked no replies allowed.

Miniholic

Probably not possible with the limitations of the forum software. But it would be good if we could have a gallery of thumbnails (say one completed one for each build), so that people could search for a room they like the look of rather than browse lots of threads to find what they are looking for.

It might also help if people started new threads for new builds instead of adding them to the end of their threads in the members gallery. :oops: :blush: :D

Max Payne

A great idea - this post.

I agree with Jaggdeepp.

I usually miss alot of great rooms/projects as Im usually at the Home Cinema Gallery and not this DIY section.

Would it not be easier to group both the cinema gallery and this DIY thread in the same section and just under one and other and that would mean that both get as much hits/visits as possible as its easier to visit both when they are beside each other.

Afterall, most people who visit this threads would have an interest in both

i think it makes sense anyway?

miceri

I agree with Suniil - There is no such thing as a completed build.

Just pausing for breath (funds) until the next wave of upgrades.

Miniholics idea about thumbnails is perfect. Here on the Swedish home cinema forum they have this:

Start side - http://www.minhembio.com/
Gallery (On-going, complete etc) - http://www.minhembio.com/galleri

Still leaves place for a forum for 'discussing' the build, finished or not. With maybe a link in the thread header or somewhere to the appropriate 'Gallery' thread...

As stated, can this forum software support this concept?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom