Question Any CCTV Experts on Here?

Hotshy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just purchased a new toy and need a decent CCTV set up outside my house so I can keep an eye on things/have a deterrent. I've done a lot of reading but CCTV installations seem an absolute minefield. ORiginally I was just going to go with the Arlo Wireless CCTV kit, which has no power/ethernet leads and seems really easy for a novice like me. However, I'm concerned that as it is based on motion detection it may miss something, it can also only record for a predetermined amount of time and needs to have the batteries changed every few months (Not ideal if the camera is at the top of your house).

So, I need a set up that can record on to a hard drive 24/7, WiFi/Remote viewing is a nicety but not essential. I also have to consider how I am going to get power to it/wire everything into the house given it will be outside.

This IP camera seems to get good reviews and is a fair price: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AC1XRGA/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

However, how would I connect it to an NVR and what else would I need? The cables also seem very chunky which may also present problems drilling through into the house.

Any help is appreciated!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is your new toy in your avatar by any chance?

It is indeed.

Great, now just your postcode and work shift pattern please!

;)

Only kidding, CCTV is a hot topic here and I know that you'll get sensible comments and advice soon from the readers.

Great, now just your postcode and work shift pattern please!

;)

Only kidding, CCTV is a hot topic here and I know that you'll get sensible comments and advice soon from the readers.

:rotfl: Thanks bud

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks dannylau

So to confirm, if I purchased the above I would just need an ethernet cable running from the camera to the POE hub, providing an internet connection and power. Then I would just need to connect the POE to a power socket and have an ethernet from that to my router?

How would I go about recording all of the video?

Also, would the dome camera be suitable to be mounted on a wall (vertically)? I've attached a very basic drawing showing where the camera will be placed, as you can see it's quite a narrow field of vision required

Attachments

• Camera Location.png
    Camera Location.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 93
i have a cctv recording 24/7 960tvl (good quality) to protect our cars.

One night after a trip I left my ipod in the car and forgot to lock it (****) anyhoo the following morning got in the car and noticed glove box open and arm rest storage open.

checked cctv and had them clear as day gave copies to police and have heard nothing.

the point im trying to make is they saw the cams and legged it , so as a deterrent they are probably better than the video record.

also most cheapo cctv you cant resolve faces when you try to zoom in (there is a pixel/per inch rule)

end of the day they will try to get the keys for the GTR so sleep with a large bat next to you

i have a cctv recording 24/7 960tvl (good quality) to protect our cars.

One night after a trip I left my ipod in the car and forgot to lock it (****) anyhoo the following morning got in the car and noticed glove box open and arm rest storage open.

checked cctv and had them clear as day gave copies to police and have heard nothing.

the point im trying to make is they saw the cams and legged it , so as a deterrent they are probably better than the video record.

also most cheapo cctv you cant resolve faces when you try to zoom in (there is a pixel/per inch rule)

end of the day they will try to get the keys for the GTR so sleep with a large bat next to you

So do you think I should just buy a dummy CCTV instead? :D

I agree they are a deterrent more than anything, however I would like to have something in the (hopefully unlikely) event that I do have trouble. Whether that is a scrote attempting to gain access to the car, or whether it's a neighbour displaying poor parking skills (Experienced that before also) and everything else.

Buy a 4 camera Dahua or Hikvision NVR with built in PoE. You only need a cat6 cable at each camera. Then select Dahua or Hik cameras as needed. You can set the NVR to record by motion or all the time or both (so you can see the motion events). The ios/android/windows/mac by both work really work.

Anything you need please feel free to ask.

Thanks dannylau

So to confirm, if I purchased the above I would just need an ethernet cable running from the camera to the POE hub, providing an internet connection and power. Then I would just need to connect the POE to a power socket and have an ethernet from that to my router?

How would I go about recording all of the video?

Also, would the dome camera be suitable to be mounted on a wall (vertically)? I've attached a very basic drawing showing where the camera will be placed, as you can see it's quite a narrow field of vision required

Dome cameras can be wall or ceiling mounted, yes you would just an ethernet from the camera to the POE hub, and the software I recommend needs a PC on the network

have a proper system not dummy cams

good quality cams and some signage

Dome cameras can be wall or ceiling mounted, yes you would just an ethernet from the camera to the POE hub, and the software I recommend needs a PC on the network

Hi all, looking at going with dannylau's suggestion above as it seems to suit me best. Need a couple of things confirming though please.

- Looking at my diagram above, if I mounted the camera outside I would need to bring the cable through the wall and into the PoE switch. I would then also need to provide a network connection to the PoE if I wanted to use the Blue Iris Software, so would have to use a powerline adapter in this room due to having no modem/ethernet connection in there.

- Assuming the above is correct, what would be the best way to then record the video? I know the camera has an internal SD slot but this isn't ideal so would really need a HDD. If the camera is connected to my network via the PoE Switch, I'm assuming the blue iris software can detect the camera, connect and then record video to my PC or a webserver on blue iris? Again though, I'm assuming for continuous recording this isn't ideal and will slow down my web connection

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated!

I'm also planning on fitting a cctv system and doing some homework same as yourself so I'm no expert.

Fitting a dome camera on a vertical surface is ok but from what I understand if it's only a 2 axis lens then trying to adjust for the best view can cause the image on screen to be sloped.

You would log in to each camera through the blue iris software and then set up the location to save the recordings.

Instead of continuous recording you could use record on detection which is my thinking for my setup.

Thought I'd update this thread for anyone interested. Went with the Hikvision dome camera with a bracket installed on the side of the house so that it can be mounted horizontally. Powered over Ethernet to a PoE adapter which is connected to a TP Link powerline adapter. All video recording/monitoring is done via Blue Iris. It's a pretty good solution that I've been running for the last few months and wwasn't too costly (Think it was around £200 all in). The remote viewing is also good on the BlueIris app.

The camera is really good quality and the motion detection is good too. Only thing I'd say is I'm having issues with the Hikvision Cam having some IR reflection. It's a known issue which they released a bulletin for, the apparent cause is the foam ring around the camera lens doesn't sit flush with the glass dome, causing IR light to reflect into the lens. The 'fix' is to pull the foam ring out to sit flush, mine won't move at all so I will have to try and bodge it, probably by applying another foam ring on top.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom