1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any carpenters/cabinet makers in Merseyside/N. Cheshire?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by stevem999, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi there, I've been looking around for ages for a cabinet to house elderly and very heavy, but excellent, Phillips TV (on top of cabinet), as well as Sky+ V2, PS1, VCR, DVD and two front surround speakers (quite large too). I can't find anything anywhere that is suitable so am looking at getting something made. Have talked to a couple of local companies who say they offer bespoke furniture but actually if it isn't in their trade catalogue for them to hammer together they generally aren't interested.

What I'm after is someone to come and measure up accurately and offer some design ideas, give me a price and make it! Does anyone have any experience of this in Merseyside, South Lancs, North Cheshire or Manchester? Help! Thanks

2. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    bump:blush:

Anyone got any experience of this?

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    No help at all I'm afraid but I'm also in Cheshire and could do with almost exactly the same - an Arca type thingy, but with slightly different dimensions/doors etc.
    I'll keep a look out and let you know if I see anything.
    Phil

4. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Likewise, if I ever find anything! Came across a company called Strongwood Design today, located in Ellesmere Port but they are reluctant to come and measure. I really want someone 'in the know' to come and see what they suggest to fit the space/equipment - maybe you should try them and see what they say to you - www.strongwooddesign.co.uk

Another one I saw was The Cabinet Company with showrooms in Warrington & Wigan, they say they offer bespoke but haven't spoken to them yet, although they look a little 'cataloguey'!
    www.thecabinetcompany.co.uk - if you speak to them let us know!

TTFN

5. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Here are a couple of ideas: Have a chat with your local timber merchant, they should be able to recommend a few people.

The other place to look is kitchen design companies, whilst these may not be cheap, they can produce some very good results.

Hope that helps.

6. strongwood

strongwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an employee of Strongwood Design, I read with some concern about our apparent reluctance to measure for TV cabinets.

We would be only too pleased to offer a free design and estimate for any bespoke furniture you require as part of our personal service.

If we are unable to fulfil your requirements we would do our best to point you in the right direction of someone who can.

7. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Strongwood - thanks for the reply - my post was purely based on fact! I called one of the phone numbers on your website (one of the designers I think?) and mentioned what I wanted to do. They said they would come and measure and give free designs/estimates etc but when I said I lived in St. Helens (30 minutes max from the Strongwood factory in Ellesmere Port for anyone else reading!), it went a bit quiet and he said he didn't think he could come out that far to measure and asked me if it would be possible to just send some measurements in to him and see what he could do - ok, but not quite what I'm after. It's an awkward corner, drawing is not my strong point, got a lot of kit to fit in sensibly and I want some inspiration from someone who knows what is possible and what isn't!

Wasn't slagging off Strongwood as such, the few pieces on the website look impressive (perhaps with impressive prices eh??).

Cheers

8. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    Stevem - you seem to have done a pretty good job here! Have just sent Strongwood an email (I'm just down the road from them in Frodsham) so I'll see how I get on.
    I must say this forum is great - everyone in the UK seems to read it!
    Phil

9. strongwood

strongwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im really sorry, i am unable to locate the person you spoke to, it is our policy to visit if requested.

If you wish to contact us on 0151 355 6279 or email me at info@strongwooddesign.co.uk we will gladly do your design.

10. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the reply Strongwood - a visit would be really useful although I'm quite happy to come and see your workshop to see the sort of thing you do and show you what I have to fit in! Once we've had a chat you cou then do a visit to measure accurately etc and finalise the quote etc? As I have never had custom-made furniture before I cannot guess how much it is likely to be so a quote will be essential!

Do you have an office/showroom in Ellesmere Port, and if so, is it open at weekends at all?

Thanks

11. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,479
    Steve

Have just had a visit from Roy at Strongwood who came round and showed me some typical designs etc. He is going away to draw up some plans and I have to say that it all looks a bit promising! Frankly the quality and looks seem to be in a different league from the standard Arca/Kuban stuff! (no disrespect to people who have these, as I was also looking at them, but having something 100% unique in my house will be cool!)
    So make sure you get them round as I'm sure they will be able to help and advise, and having seen their portfolio I can't imagine them not being able to do something.
    Phil

PS Everything they do is 100% bespoke, so they will not try and sell you an amended catalogue item, as they don't have a catalogue! Oh, and I haven't seen the prices yet, but the ball park figures were roughly what I had in mind, and not too expensive considering it will last a lifetime (well, it better had!)

12. strongwood

strongwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately Steve we do not have a showroom, but we do have a portfolio that our designers can show you. If you give Roy a ring he would be more than happy to visit you at a time that is convenient.

Glad you liked the look of our furniture Phil.

If anyone else wants something similar you can email me from the website www.strongwooddesign.co.uk

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,559
    Ok at this point I need to interject as 'Strongwood' has (most likely unwittingly) broken 2 forum rules.
    1) Login name inappropriate
    2) Soliciting business people to thie website and giving out their email.

But on the other hand we don't have too many bespoke cabinety companies visitng here (to my knowledge) and I want to strike a balance between what is in the best interests of forum members and what is going to upset paying advertisers (as people soliciting for business and self-promoting in the forums for free quite obviously undermines paid advertising).
    So at this point I'm closing this thread without removing Strongwood's posts.

Strongwood - if you intend to post again - whcih I welcome you to do - please ensure you do so within the forum rules and please contact me to let me know what you want your login name changing to and also if you want to sponsor the forums or do a Power Buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.