Any capture card recomendations?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jonny1973, May 25, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting a capture card to send Sky Digital/S-VHS VCR to my Panasonic PT-AE100 LCD projector via VGA.

I've got DVD running in pixel perfect WIDE480 (progressive) mode to the projector using PowerDVD and would like to get Sky running in this mode.

I understand that this is possible using a capture card and D-scaler.

Would a Pinnacle Rave PCTV card be OK? I've seen them in Dixons for 39.99, or is the Hauppage (correct spelling???) WinTV better? Does the card really make a difference? Any other recomendations?

Will I notice a 40 quid improvement over Sky via S-Video?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm using the Pinnacle Rave PCTV card and DScaler for Sky and it works a treat, night and day difference between Sky via S-VIdeo and Sky through the PC, far sharper and cleaner via the PC than the direct S-Video connection, the results are well worth the £40 investment, go for it!

Cheers
    Andy

3. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunno bout rave card but i posted bout hauppage card recently - meant to be better pic than pinnacle - less noisy.

i bought my hauppage card from dabs.com for about 35-40 quid - its sitting on the shelf next to the pc waiting to be fitted (when i get a scart to phono lead for me video.......

hope this is of some use

cheers
    rob

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. The spending never ends I guess with cables, screens, converters etc....at least D-Scaler is free!!

Does the Rave PCTV card time-shifting software in the UK? I'm also interested in using my PC like a Tivo.

5. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've been looking at getting a capture card and have been reading through this forum trying to find out the one to go for. WinTv gets mentioned a lot, but no-one ever says which model and there are half a dozen! I get the impression that the cheapest one will be fine, yet it appears the WinTV Go! card (i.e. the £40 one from the high street) doesn't have an s-video input. Is that correct? I assume I need a card with an s-video input or I'll only be able to get a composite image into the PC.

can anbody help?

Cheers

T.

6. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve got the hauppage winTV go! pci sitting on the shelf there and it has got s-video in.........

rob

7. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cheers rob

according to the hauppauge website it doesn't, hence my confusion.

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm

T.

8. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pinnacle PCTV Rave today

9. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trooper1212 - i`ve just looked at your link you listed and the model no.s are different

hauppage lists it as model 190 , whereas on my box (just bought from dabs.com) the model no. is 607 (its definitely a wintv go! pci)

maybe youd better check with the retailer to make sure they`re not selling an older version?

hope my info has`nt messed you about

rob

10. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for the clarification rob, it appears that hauppauge only list the us models on both the uk and us websites. The manual just mentions that the input may be s-video on some models but doesn't say which ones.

Can you let me know what connector type the s-video in is on model 607? I've just ordered a 607 model from dabs and i'm hoping that I won't need to buy any adaptors for my current cables.

cheers

T.

11. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just installed it tonight!

the connector is a standard female s-vhs (4 pin din)

the chipset is BT848
    the tuner is phillips FM1246

dscaler works pukka with it, whereas the hauppage software is crashing on me at the mo ........typical !:)

looks like i`ve got some tweaking ahead of me.....

good luck!

cheers
    rob

12. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I recieved the 607 model from dabs today, and doesn't have an s-video input!

Can anbody tell me which card I should order to get an s-video input into my pc without it costing the earth?

T.

13. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m sorry to hear that, but i can honestly say that the card sitting in the back of my pc is a model 607, and that my vcr is plugged in the s-vhs input ........

from top to bottom, connectors are:

fm aerial
    tv aerial
    line out
    s-video in
    line in
    composite video in

i can only suggest that you return it to dabs, and ask them to find one with the same connectors.........(or change for the pinnacle?)

i`m not trying to mess you about, i was trying to help!

cheers

rob

14. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just got my 607 and it has Composite only. It does however, have a lead that converts the s-video to the phono composite input...But I assume this aint the same deal :(

Chris

15. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    it's not your fault rob, I just wish companies would change model numbers when they change models!

I guess I'm going to have to go with the pinnacle rave, but I think that has interefernce problems which isn't too encoraging.

T.