Any canal boat veterans here?

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Any recommendations? We're off for a long weekend for my wife's birthday at the start of October and we're going to do an Irish "staycation" but the hotels she's looking at are extortionate, €350 per night etc.

We went on a canal boat holiday a few years back, but couldn't really enjoy it as we had my wife's elderly aunt & uncle, and my elderly father on board and they were hard work to be honest!

We both enjoyed it more than we thought we would though, and now seems like a good time to go for a solo trip.

Last time we flew into Liverpool and went up in a loop, into Manchester and back. Looking for suggestions of good locations. We can fly into a nearby airport, or if there is somewhere near a ferry port we could sail from Larne.

Don't want to spend a fortune but a small boat seems to be around £600 for 3 nights including fuel etc.

dmpzsn

Any recommendations? We're off for a long weekend for my wife's birthday at the start of October and we're going to do an Irish "staycation" but the hotels she's looking at are extortionate, €350 per night etc.

We went on a canal boat holiday a few years back, but couldn't really enjoy it as we had my wife's elderly aunt & uncle, and my elderly father on board and they were hard work to be honest!

We both enjoyed it more than we thought we would though, and now seems like a good time to go for a solo trip.

Last time we flew into Liverpool and went up in a loop, into Manchester and back. Looking for suggestions of good locations. We can fly into a nearby airport, or if there is somewhere near a ferry port we could sail from Larne.

Don't want to spend a fortune but a small boat seems to be around £600 for 3 nights including fuel etc.
The Stratford upon Avon canal is nice, we used to walk it many years ago and you can go onto the grand union canal at Kingswood Junction. You join at Stratford which makes Birmingham the nearest airport I'd guess.

Plenty of places to stop and overnight, plus the basin at Stratford was always nice with lots to see.

I have no idea of the cost though.

A bit industrialised as you leave the town but you're soon in the country side.

Have a good holiday.:thumbsup:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Without wanting to literally put a dampener on the idea, have you given due consideration to the change in weather come October? Temperatures are likely to be heading towards single digits, greatly increased chances of rainfall & the pandemic will probably limit the number of pubs open to take refuge in.

youngarthur

My daughter has just bought a Canal barge, and is stripping it back to a bare hull, and renovating. It has a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel, so that will upset the some people!.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom