Any business owners worried?

Maybe even something as simple as putting up signs in your shop stating contactless is the preferred payment method would help, i'm sure there would still be some arriving just with cash but i'm sure plenty of your customers would see the sense in it

Yup that's what I was thinking, I'll get one up tomorrow.

@Mevlock A number of cafes and sit-in restaurants are signing up for Deliveroo where I live in the outskirts of Glasgow. One of the proper fancy chippys (Catch, Giffnock) round my bit has, I believe, started doing them despite their objection to it in the past (needs must).

Hope you still continue to see good trade through all of this.

Yup same in the Netherlands. Thuisbezorgd are seeing a huge increase.

What would be a nice gesture is when those kind of app delivery services reduce their percentage for a period of time. It’s clear they get a huge increase in users, and also a huge increase in participating restaurants.

absolutely no help to me. Tell me why I pay £15k per year in business rates? I don’t even get my bin collected. Absolute rip off! I was really hoping they’d increase the amount of business liable for this “holiday”.
Sorry I honestly don’t understand what you are conveying.

Thanks to everyone by the way. I'm increasingly confident that we won't have to close. McDonald's is shutting all their seating areas tomorrow but keeping their take away and drive through services going.

Shutting all take out services and just allowing delivery would I think be a step too far for our government. We have a very very healthy take out industry (he says without a hint of irony).

We're prepared just in case (have done the numbers and could see through a temporary shutdown of a few months) but I'm in a better mood tonight than I was.

Sorry I honestly don’t understand what you are conveying.

the business rate holiday only applies to businesses in the leisure industry, so I can’t get any relief on it.

I just don’t understand what I get for the £15k per year on business rates that I pay, absolutely nothing is the answer.

the business rate holiday only applies to businesses in the leisure industry, so I can’t get any relief on it.

I just don’t understand what I get for the £15k per year on business rates that I pay, absolutely nothing is the answer.
Does it? The only limitation I’ve seen was related to a rateable value of less than £51K. So about £20K above the national average. But happy to stand corrected.

What you are getting in return for it is for another day and another discussion. The Coronavirus has nothing to do with that.

Does it? The only limitation I’ve seen was related to a rateable value of less than £51K. So about £20K above the national average. But happy to stand corrected.

What you are getting in return for it is for another day and another discussion. The Coronavirus has nothing to do with that.

yep only retail and leisure businesses.

Lost about £50k of business in 5 days. That’s a business of me and my Apprentice only.

not a lot you can do, a lot of my customers are older. Scratching around for work over the next few weeks. Starting next job in April which I can sense will be cancelled/postponed. Shame really because Business so far this year has been phenomenal, best start of the year I’ve known in the past 18 years, wiped out in 5 days.

Lost about £50k of business in 5 days. That’s a business of me and my Apprentice only.

not a lot you can do, a lot of my customers are older. Scratching around for work over the next few weeks. Starting next job in April which I can sense will be cancelled/postponed. Shame really because Business so far this year has been phenomenal, best start of the year I’ve known in the past 18 years, wiped out in 5 days.
Similar here, however I'll sit on my funds as long as I have to.
So should be ok, people are still ringing for call outs.

We had our worst day in 21 years of trading today.

I have had so many other retailers, suppliers and agents from around the country on the phone, all saying the same. Many retailers reckon they will be gone by end of next week, many suppliers say it depends if the invoices get paid or not for them.

I will see the details of what government are offering to rescue UK businesses when I get in tomorrow.
Sounds great, but after dissecting it a bit this evening I don't think it is anywhere near enough for many, myself included.

Someone else I saw today said business has fallen off a cliff for them, main office and production is here, US, Italy and Spain.
None any good. They are stopping production Thursday as stock already piling up.
He said the reality is 270 staff at £4-600 a week in the factory. They pay just a smidge over £7m a year in wages, Nearly £600,000 a month.
Monthly overheads are over a million. Like he said "How long can we ride that out for?"

Everyone, no matter how big or small is getting hit hard, just depends how far along the chain you are from dealing with the general public to how much you are noticing what is happening.

Many won't have even noticed yet. But the reality is not looking good.

What am I missing? I do not read such exclusions.

it’s not clear on here, but it is only for retail, leisure and
What am I missing? I do not read such exclusions.

Nope, not from what I can see, quite specific in the industry types that qualify:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom