Any builders/roofers out there?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lostinspace, Dec 22, 2006.

1. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I've just been up into the loft for the first time in ages to discover so much condensation on the inside of the roof that it's dripping onto the stuff stored up there.
    It is much worse on the north facing side of the roof, and the south facing side is virtually unaffected.
    I realise there will be some condensation, but there's so much I'm not sure if there's anything I can do myself.
    Is it time for a builder, or can I do anything until after the Christmas and New Year break?

2. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    There's often condensation on the underside of a roof, that's why the roof needs ventilation. However when there's so much fog outside the air isn't likely to dry it anyway.

Have you got an extractor fan in your bathroom which is switched off?

You could try sticking a dehumidifier up there, that's pretty much all a builder would do first off anyway.

3. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The condy is caused by warm moist air getting into the loft then having a lack of ventilation.If possible stop the air getting in, sealed loft hatches etc, get extractors fitted. After doing this or failing this get some air moving up there, have you go sofit vents fitted? Is the insulation blocking them? Get the air moving mate and you should be ok.

Also look on www.diynot.com in the forums loft etc for more info

Ta.