Any builders or handy DIY'ers here please? (fascia boards / pebbledashing)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Dark Horse, Jun 11, 2008.

1. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +820
    Just after a bit of advice please.

I'm looking to have my house re-pebbledashed and all new soffits, fascia boards and guttering fitted. What is the best way around to have this work done?

The work is by the same company however they have booked the pebbledasher in first, and told me it didn't matter what order it was done in. The fascia boards etc... cannot be done until a few weeks later.

After chatting to a few people they reckon the fascia boards, soffits etc... should be done first otherwise when the old stuff gets removed it will only damage the new pebbledash. This makes sense to me however the builder still thinks it doesn't matter which way its done.

Any ideas or advice?

thanks.

2. Threemonkeys

Threemonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just check before work, that the old facia boards will be removed as some overlay the old facias, as for the pebble dashing, speaking as a builder i would remove the old as the other as other advice mentions any damage to the new pebble dashing will require repairing thus not matching the new and be visable.

3. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +820
    The old fascia boards are going to be removed. So would you do the fascia boards before or after the dashing?

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42,739
    The pebbledash shouldn't adhere to the fascia/cladding so, so long as it's set solid, they shouldn't pull off the new pebbledashing when removed. So long as the new fascia boards are identical in size to the old ones, you shouldn't have a problem.

Notice I used "shouldn't" 3 times and not a single "won't" :rolleyes: I would do it the other way around, but I'm not a professional.

@Threemonkeys, if they do make good any damage to the brand new pebble dash will the patching show as there won't have been any aging of the new stuff?

Dave

5. bobsplace

bobsplace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Dashing takes about 3 weeks to cure,so after this it should be fine...no hard rules as to which is done first,some will prefer to dash first as it will keep the new fascias clean.

Personally,I always pebble dash last and mask up everything.

6. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +820
    Thanks. I guess the problem could be if my new fascia boards are a different size to the old ones, then they would have to come back patch it up. The logical order would be to do the dashing last don't you think?

7. Threemonkeys

Threemonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Facias 1st as once removed any repair thats required to the building can be done at this time then the pebbledashing, repair to the pebbledashing and being invisable to the naked eye is hard, its your money you want it right, check out the firm thats pebbledashing, go see some of there work, theres good and bad.

8. Threemonkeys

Threemonkeys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its not the ageing its the application, they render first then with a flick of the wrist apply the stone, thats where you can tell a good job uniformed coating from the facias to the ground, if you stop half way and leave the joint to dry out you will end up with a band acrass the building where the stone is not uniformed, to patch is the same problem.