1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any builders on here ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by richjthorpe, Oct 24, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I'm just designing an extension for the house and I'm trying to cost things myself to see how much the total is going to be. I've done a bit of building before and have relatives in the trade too for help and also trying to do this on a v.tight budget so don't want to get builders in to do the work.

The question is, are there any sights that will tell you the average costing of materials and lists the materials you will need to build an extension ?

One of the things I'm looking for is how much concrete footings cost. Because there isn't access to the back of the house, I can't have a ready mix truck so will have to do things by mixer ! How much does a cubic yard of concrete cost ? Or to put it another way, how much Balast and Cement do you need for 1 Cubic Yard of Concrete ?

Cheers,

Richie.

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Last year I had a base for a shed laid and had to have a cubic meter of concrete the base was around eight by four and 2 to 3 inch deep and cost me just over 110 quid. Hope this helps

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    wow, concrete is one of those things i always took for granted as being cheap!! man thats put a shocker on things!

4. Tir

Tir
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have from time to time been accused of being a builder. ;)

I would imagine that any extension you are doing will require local building control approval for the work. They will probably be looking for some sort of designated mix in the foundations with a nominal strength of 15-30Newton. Essentially this means that mixing it yourself is not really viable as you cannot guarantee the mix. They will also be interested in ground conditions, foundation width and depth also. This all assumes it is a strip foundation.

That is certainly the case here in N. Ireland but things may be different across the water. That said many foundations have been done with self-mixed concrete and there have been no problems with them.

As regards price your best bet is to ring up your local ready mix concrete yard and ask for a cubic metre price. I would see if you could get it collected on a trailer unless you want a big amount as they will charge part load on a small delivery.

If you are set on mixing it yourself I would price a bag of 25kg bag of cement, 25kg bag of sand and 25kg bag of 10-20mm stone at a local builders merchant and I would work off a mix of 1 cement to 2 sand to 4 stone and work off using 8 bags of cement and multiplying it up will give you an idea of material cost to mix a cubic metre of concrete. You could go to 1:3:6 if you really want to save the pennys and reduce it 6 bags of cement to start.

It is difficult to give you any firm prices as regional prices for materials can be massive.

When you get a price always ask for discount or even better if some one has an account at a merchant and is willing to let you get the stuff through them this might save you quite a bit.

HTH

Tir

5. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    You could try mixamate instead of readymix, they'll mix it for you (probably a lot quicker and better than self mixing) so you can barrow it to wherever and lay it.

http://www.mixamate.co.uk/