Any Bose Lifestyle experts out there?

TheLegacy

Hi all,

I recently inherited a Bose Lifestyle 38 setup. Speakers are all installed for 5.1 surround sound (not by me), all cables and wires hooked up. The media player works and runs DVDs fine but I don't get any audio at all coming from the acoustimass PS38 subwoofer or any of the 5 speakers. I'm using an optical connection from my TV to the media player. I use a converter to switch the composite video yellow cable (plugged into the BOSE media player) to HDMI for my TV. To confirm, I get video but never any audio. Even when I'm just watching my TV, never any audio through the speakers or sub woofer at all. I've toyed with the settings, made sure the speaker count was 5, messed with the volume and nothing.

There is also a Bose link cable which feeds into various Bose ceiling speakers we have in a few rooms (a sign of the times, we mainly have Alexa devices for this). I don't hear any audio coming from those either.

These were all left here when I bought the house and after numerous attempts, I'm close to getting rid of the lot but thought I would try one or two more things before throwing out such a pricey setup (I know the actual models are quite dated). I've replaced the fuse in the power plug for the subwoofer, I really can't tell if that thing is on when I switch it on, makes no noise at all and I don't even hear a faint of sound or noise like when I turn on my main soundbar subwoofer.

I've checked the cables and everything seems to be fine and plugged where they should be. Could just be that the speakers/subwoofer stopped working so thats why it was left behind?

Has anyone got any advice on this? Any help would be appreciated. I know the model and system is dated but would be cool if it worked.

gibbsy

@TheLegacy I've moved your thread to this section as you may get more answers here although Bose is not popular someone may know how to help you.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I am just about to replace a lifestyle 28 system in a clients london pad. From memory there is a little power light or active light on the sub so you know it is operational.

Other than that it is difficult to know where the problem lies. It coukd the channels out from the Bose player or could be the amplification side in the sub.

The system i am pulling out does work for audio, but has no HDMI inputs and an original Pioneer Kuro plasma so i need audio from the audio sources via HDMI. Yes i could down mix, but that isn't a good long term solution, the only right one is to swap out the audio electronics but keep the on-wall speakers.

It does mean though, that i will have a known working sub/amp if you want to test the system, providing cabling is the same.

Chris AAC

TheLegacy

I am just about to replace a lifestyle 28 system in a clients london pad. From memory there is a little power light or active light on the sub so you know it is operational.

Other than that it is difficult to know where the problem lies. It coukd the channels out from the Bose player or could be the amplification side in the sub.

The system i am pulling out does work for audio, but has no HDMI inputs and an original Pioneer Kuro plasma so i need audio from the audio sources via HDMI. Yes i could down mix, but that isn't a good long term solution, the only right one is to swap out the audio electronics but keep the on-wall speakers.

It does mean though, that i will have a known working sub/amp if you want to test the system, providing cabling is the same.

Chris AAC
Thanks, I'll look for a light then. Pretty sure I haven't seen anything light up on the unit before. Would that mean it's faulty?

BFG

I'm using an optical connection from my TV to the media player. I use a converter to switch the composite video yellow cable (plugged into the BOSE media player) to HDMI for my TV.

For testing, set the Bose to FM radio. You should at least get static from the speakers.

There is definitely a light next to the power lead input on the Acoustimass module (the sub). You should also hear a slight thud from the sub when you turn the system on. The amp is in the acoustimass, so the cable between amp and the media centre needs to be connected right too.

If you do get sound on FM, maybe check the settings for Optical

Activating an optical connection
1. Turn on your TV and LIFESTYLE® system.
2. Press the System button on the LIFESTYLE® system remote.
3. Press the right arrow key and highlight the Media Center tab. Press Enter.
4. Press the down arrow key and highlight Optical Source. Press Enter.
5. Select the component that is connected to the Optical IN connector. Press Enter.
6. Press Exit to leave the System menu.

Are you using the bose remote to switch input sources? If not, you don't need the composite cable for anything other than seeing the on-screen menu of the Bose interface. If you are switching, a better option would be to source a Bose VS-2 video enhancer unit, which is a glorified HDMI switcher and allows video switching, but note it is too old to support audio over HDMI.

You can't upgrade by adding a newer lifestyle media center to the existing acoustimass bass module, it won't work. But you can upgrade both and use existing speakers and wiring. Plenty of used units on ebay. Might give you options until you can get around to re-wiring for a full upgrade.

Also call Bose, they have lifetime support. In the UK at least, they will still repair 30yr old products.

TheLegacy

For testing, set the Bose to FM radio. You should at least get static from the speakers.

There is definitely a light next to the power lead input on the Acoustimass module (the sub). You should also hear a slight thud from the sub when you turn the system on. The amp is in the acoustimass, so the cable between amp and the media centre needs to be connected right too.

If you do get sound on FM, maybe check the settings for Optical

Activating an optical connection
1. Turn on your TV and LIFESTYLE® system.
2. Press the System button on the LIFESTYLE® system remote.
3. Press the right arrow key and highlight the Media Center tab. Press Enter.
4. Press the down arrow key and highlight Optical Source. Press Enter.
5. Select the component that is connected to the Optical IN connector. Press Enter.
6. Press Exit to leave the System menu.

Are you using the bose remote to switch input sources? If not, you don't need the composite cable for anything other than seeing the on-screen menu of the Bose interface. If you are switching, a better option would be to source a Bose VS-2 video enhancer unit, which is a glorified HDMI switcher and allows video switching, but note it is too old to support audio over HDMI.

You can't upgrade by adding a newer lifestyle media center to the existing acoustimass bass module, it won't work. But you can upgrade both and use existing speakers and wiring. Plenty of used units on ebay. Might give you options until you can get around to re-wiring for a full upgrade.

Also call Bose, they have lifetime support. In the UK at least, they will still repair 30yr old products.
Thanks for the response! It’s ok, I’ve just bought a JBL 9.1 bar for all the Dolby atmos goodness. I’m done with the Bose unit but will keep it in the garage, rather than getting rid.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom