Any body use peltier cooling?

BGoff

i know Peltier cooling is quite a big thing amoungst hard-core overclockers because they can reduce component temperatures below 0c. (although if you take it that far condensation becomes an issue)

From what i have read it is common to run the peltier with as much power as possible to really freeze comonents that are being massivley overclocked. If any body knows much on this subject i would appriciate some advise on how usefully a peltier controller would be for PC usage that could hold a component at an exact temperature.

The reason i ask this is because i have a surplus of Laboritory grade controllers that are designed to keep a laser within a fraction of a degree of the desired temperature. If these would be of any use to anybody i would be willing to sell them very cheaply because i cant store them all.

Ben

O

OneEleven

I think the main issue with running peltier is the power required to run the things. I briefly looked at them about 12 months ago and there was no way I could power it in the application I as thinking of using them

Jim_Fear

This is sort of my speciality, I have forums for this sort of talk (www.doomedpc.com/forums).

Basically, peltiers will never FREEZE something unless its cooling a liquid of some kind, it wont freeze a computer component at all as they would never be able to go to absoulte zero.

As soon as you go below room temp you get condensation and you really need to do some clever stuff to stop your machine from going boom. Not only is condensation an issue but these things draw lots of juice, we're talking anywhere between 16-30Amps on the decent specc'ed ones, so most of the time you need to purchase a second power supply to power the buggers. Then there's the heat, you'll have the ammount of watts given off of the Pelt PLUS the watts given off of the processor, a modern day AMD processor gives out about 89W, slap a pelt on their (you'd need a pelt rated at more than 89W) of at LEAST 127w and you then need to deal with the 216Watts of heat being given off, however the temperature differential wouldn't give you anywhere near sub zero temperatures.

Theres alot of maths behind it and its generally only worth doing it if you have a fair ammount of money to dump into the project

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom