1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Bluetooth mice good for gaming?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Gambler777, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a Dell 9300 Laptop and I'd like to get a bluetooth mouse for it since it has built in bluetooth. Scanning the mouse landscape I see 5 choices

Kensington Pilot Mouse
    Logitech MX900
    Microsoft M60-00006 IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth
    BT510 Bluetooth mini Mouse
    Targus Bluetooth Wireless Mini Optical Mouse

Games I'll be playing will probably be mostly RPG or RTS types. I use my XBOX for shooters so I don't need ridiculous performace for sniping, etc.

I'd love to get the MX1000 but its not bluetooth. However, if all these bluetooth mice blow chunks I might consider it.

Any thoughts on any of these?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Blue Tooth is really just a conection. As long as it has the necesary bandwith then it should be fine. The bigger problem with gaming is the dpi (optical mice). I recently bough a razer diamondback which has a 1600 dpi optical system and is very good for gaming.
    Any other mouse out there regardles of conection wont be higher than 800 dpi.
    Still i have heard good things about the MX 1000 which uses new laser technology.
    I guess the MX 900 isnt a bad mouse either, but as I said only has a regular 800 dpi optical system.
    Since its for a lap top does it really matter if it has a cord or not?
    If not then i recomend the razer diamonback.
    If it MUST be wireless then I would go for the MX 1000.

3. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said, I'm not going to be playing shooters. Is 800 DPI really not sufficient? You're right, I'm not going to be very far away from my laptop. However, I hate cords and the tangled mess they create so I'd like to get a wireless mouse preferrably bluetooth so I'm not wasting a port on some stupid dongle.

4. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me restate that, I may play shooters but I'm not some uber competitive, pro gamer, 8 hours a day playing Half Life 2 or Counterstrike Source type.

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    If I recall the mx900 is based on the very popular, and well reviewed, mx700 (it's basically the mx700 with added bluetooth) so that would be a good choice.

If all you're doing is playing RTS and RPG games then I suppose any mouse on that list would do but my personal preference, having used it, is the mx700. 800dpi should be fine for the games you want to play.

6. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Having owned the MS Bluetooth mouse and still got a MX900 kicking about, the problem with both of them really is battery life. The MS one used to last around about 3 weeks on Duracells, making it expensive to use. The MX900 needed recharging basically every night, which was annoying also.

I use the MX1000, which is more responsive due to the laser and goes 3-4 days without recharging, based on around 12 hours a day usage. If you MUST have bluetooth, get the MX900 as it's rechargable. If you want the more responsive mouse, MX1000 any day of the week (and weekends too!)

7. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    800 Dpi is NOT low res ;)

The mx1000 is far more accurate at detecting actual changes in surface texture due to using a laser .... so if you happen to run over a smooth flat low texture / colour area of a mouse pad or desk, the mx1000 can actually pip the boomslangs even with 1600 Dpi.

As an ( ex ) hard core fps'er I can say that 800Dpi is more than suitable - unless you are the sort of player than can spin on a sixpence and shoot 5 targets at once.

8. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, If I go bluetooth its between the logitech and the microsoft. Which one tracks better? What about on odd surfaces (like my chair arm or leg :) )

Is that huge bulky base station the transmitter for the MX1000? I tend to use my laptop in weird places (i.e. not a desk) so I don't want to have to plug in some huge thing to my laptop thus the desire for bluetooth.

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yes the bulky thing is the transmitter for the MX1000 and 900 but it's also the recharger base for both as well.

The MS one has an adaptor to make it like a dongle for laptop users.

I'd still go the MX1000 though over the other 2, but it's personal choice at the end of the day.

10. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since you have the MX900 and the Microsoft can you say something about their tracking. I'm sure they aren't quite as precise at the 1000 but are they still pretty good?

11. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, with the 900 I can use my builit in bluetooth with that right and just stick the charger somewhere out of the way? I'm assuming the 1000 station has to be plugged into my laptop to work.

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The MX1000 would need the base attached, so you would be right there. Both the MS and the MX900 should be no problem with a normal B/Tooth adaptor (I've only tried the MS with a different adaptor and it was fine).

Tracking wise, I'd give the edge to the MX900, I'd say slightly more responsive. The MS is more comfortable in my opinion to hold though in comparrison. To play games with, both were fine with Unreal etc. but I'm not an 8 hour a day player.

Hope that helps.

13. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. After all this it sounds like bluetooth just isn't there yestand the MX1000's base station is putting me off. I might just stick with a corded mouse after all. Either a logitech MX510 or the Razer Diamondback.

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Although the MX 1000 receiver is bulky at the bottom - the upper part is wafer-thin, just to support the mouse while charging.

It's not an easy decision, as it's highly personal, but if I used a laptop on a desk or something, I'd still get the MX1000 just because it's nice in the hand, smooth and very responsive.

If I had to go back to a cord-based mouse, probably go for an old MS Intellipoint as they were nice, reasonably responsive and seriously built to last.

Good luck with your mouse choosing!

15. Gambler777

Gambler777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm going to get an MX-510. $20 cheaper than the Razer and seems to be as strong.

16. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    As I said b4, if its for gaming then I would recomed the razer.
    It has excelent response for any application.
    I wouldnt skimp out for 20 bucks! The 510 may be less than 800dpi? not sure, but I used to use an MX 700 and since i got the razer I havent looked back!