1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any better connection suggestion ??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jont, May 30, 2002.

1. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    As I shall shortly be getting a panny 42 as a replacement for the vision 42, I was proposing to connect my kit via the following ...

vga 1 - skybox via rgb>vga converter

vga 2 - playstation 2 via rgb>vga converter

rgbhv bnc - arcam dv27 via rgb phono>bnc lead keeping sync on green

anybody got any other ideas/comments/experience ??

does anybody do anything suitable other than the JS rgb/vga boxes at £125 each ??

cheers

Jon

2. turnergw

turnergw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just built myself a Scart -> R,G,B,Composite lead for use into a panny 42 - The sync can be picked up from the composite video input, so any SCART RGB device can be connected fairly easily (total cost: about £20 from maplins, including high quality cable & connectors)

Unfortunately of course this means you can't use the composite or S-Video input for anything else. Another alternative is the SyncBlaster cable from Keene electronics, which I've just ordered. This appears to do the same thing as the RGB - VGA box, for half the price ... I'll let you know how it performs once it arrives (hopefully next week). It's the only viable-looking alternative I've found so far!

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/cat/11lea/111-2.html#SGB

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    The Keene sync cable does look interesting ... let me know how you get on ...

That for the sky+ is a possibility,

I think Keene do a 'female/female scart connector' so I could hook the rgb PS2 lead to one side and the RGB>VGA the other ... any reason why it shouldn't work ?

On the DV27 I need to use the YPrPb to get the progressive out ... will the panny take a 3xvideo lead pnono>BNC with the sync on green ??

If not I may have to have a different plan ...

4. turnergw

turnergw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > The Keene sync cable does look interesting ... let me know how you get on ...

Unfortunately they seem to be having a problem getting hold of them at the moment ... hence I'm still waiting!

> I think Keene do a 'female/female scart connector' so I could hook the rgb PS2 lead to one side and the RGB>VGA the other ... any reason why it shouldn't work ?

I tried it with a scart switch box: PS2->RGB scart into switchbox, homemade scart->RGB/comp into plasma. Works a treat! I don't see why the scart connector wouldn't work, as long as all pins are connected.

I've got my PS2 connected by S-Video at the moment. Still looks pretty stunning, although I'm trying to find a PS2 - Component video lead for comparisons sake.

> will the panny take a 3xvideo lead pnono>BNC with the sync on green ??

Yes - on the input menu for RGB / Component you can switch between sync on green and sync on composite.

5. turnergw

turnergw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > The Keene sync cable does look interesting ... let me know how you get on ...

Well, it turned up this morning, and although I haven't had a great deal of time to play around with it, it seems to do the job just fine. Picture from the DVD is rock solid, excellent colour and sharpness. External power supply wasn't needed for output from DVD, but my digibox needed the extra power to produce decent sync. Once it's got power though, again, the picture is excellent. From what little I've seen so far, this cable is highly recommended.

Now this has freed up my RGB/Component inputs, so I've now got my PS2 hooked up via a component connection - which is considerably better than its previous S-Video connection.

When I get the time I'll try and post a comparison of my RGB+composite sync cable and the Keene VGA lead for the DVD / digibox, and also composite, S-Video, Component and RGB connections from the playstation (now I can get all 4!)

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Excellent timing ... Orion plasma went back today and panny is on order ...

I'd be interested in your cable/connection comparison ... esp. what is strong enough not to need external power skybox /ps2 etc ...

think I'll get a syncblaster out of curiosty could use it for one or the other ??

7. turnergw

turnergw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaargh ... having just spent ages composing a lengthy comparison, my browser crashed!

Well, I'll try again!

I spent some time last night comparing the Digibox and DVD over composite, S-Video, RGB/Sync and Syncblaster VGA cables.

Firstly: Pioneer 545 DVD
    I originally had this connected via S-Video, and was very happy with the image. Good colours, good sharpness, and a very pleasing overall image. My homemage RGB/Sync lead did look better though - the colours were more defined, and the (very little) colour bleed noticeable over S-Video was gone.

However the VGA lead really has raised the quality - it's most noticeable in dark, rich colours - purples, blues, and details in very dark scenes. My standard test disc now is Gladiator R1, simply because I've watched it in so many testing sessions on a number of plasmas. The first striking difference is in the opening battle scenes - the cloaks and flags have a rich, deep rust colour, and the blues worn by Caesar are considerably richer than over the other two connections. In the arena battle scenes, the gladiators chainmail has multiple shades of silver and grey where before they looked 'flatter'. The overall image is much more involving and filmlike - it's hard to describe the difference, but it is quite definitely noticeable.

Next up: Philips ITVDigital digibox (yes, I still have one of them!) Again, this was originally connected by composite connection. Not the best picture in the world, but certainly watchable. The RGB lead omproved this considerably, giving the sharpness and colour definition you would expect. And again, the VGA lead has raised the bar a little - although the difference is more subtle. The colours are more vibrant and 'fuller' - especially reds, for some reason. Turning up the colour controls on the other connections helped in some scenes, but made flesh tones look pretty flarey and bad. With the VGA connection, everything seems spot on. Of course, this exposes the limitations of the digibox itself - the MPEG artifacting is quite noticeable on this screen, whereas on my old 32", I rarely spotted it.

(As a side note, have the BBC reduced their bitrate for digital transmission due to the extra football channels? The picture for the last few weeks has been absoutely appalling - almost unwatchable on some Beeb channels. It looks like they're using hardly any bitrate at all!)

Finally, the PS2 looks equally good over the VGA lead. However I've also just got hold of a component connection for this, which makes my overall system connections much easier, and seems to give just as good a picture. Both look pretty fantastic on the plasma, although it does expose the famous PS2 'jaggies' quite heavily!

Power wise, the DVD player outputs sufficient power to let the lead run as is. The digibox, however, doesn't - so the lead needs its external power supply. This comes with it in the form of a 'wall wart' which connects directly to a plug attached to the SCART. This makes the cables easy to control and hide, and does the job fantastically.

Hence I've now got the following set of connections:
    Digibox -> DVD via RGB Scart passthrough
    DVD -> Plasma via Syncblaster VGA cable
    PS2 -> Plasma via Component connection
    Video -> plasma via composite

I personally think that the DVD image I'm now getting is better than my previous 'reference display', which was through a progressive scan Arcam player into the Panny plasma via component connections. That was the demo that finally persuaded me to buy the screen, so I'm more than happy ... and it means that I don't think I need to bother shelling out for a progressive scan player.

Anyway the upshot of all that is that I would wholeheartedly recommend the Keene Syncblaster lead to plasma owners - It's certainly made me want to go back and re-watch all my DVDs to see what I've been missing!

What a long ramble ... hope it's of use to someone! :)

Cheers

Graham

(fervently hoping he can get this one posted before another crash ...)

8. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Great post - thanks graham ...

I've ordered a syncblaster to try ... looking forward to the weekend playing now !!

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As those of you familiar with J.S. Technology products, you'll know we inovate, not imitate. We were the first to bring RGB to S-Video, and the first to solve the problem of connecting RGB to plasma screen with our RGB to Plasma VGA product.
    Since we solved these problems, we tend to know more about why certain parts were selected and their performance in circuit.

Our RGB to Plasma Interface give you:

* Broadcast quality extraction to give a stable picture, far superior to consumer level sync extraction.

* True H-Sync output, not available from simple extractors.

* Macrovision removal to give the correct line frequency output using computer enhancement. Again simple extractors do not remove Macrovision and "stabilizers" only mask Macrovision making the problem worse.

* Noise rejection to ensure accurate detection.

* Integrated power supply - if you're going to do something worthwhile, you need power.

* Use your own cables - if you like SQUART (QED), IXOS or VDC, you can still use them with our product.

During the design process we evaluated simply sync extractors and found from our prototype feedback that Plasma Screen owners demanded better, and hence we move up to the RGB to Plasma VGA design. I believe that this is the best means to interface RGB to plasma screens.

When selecting your plasma screen interface, it may be worth asking about the above points.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    J.S. Technology

10. turnergw

turnergw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... but we don't spell check ...

11. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you for pointing this out. Busy day, some new test equipment arrived to help with our new product development and the unix workstation (a proper unix, not Linux) arrived too.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

12. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so here's two schemes I'm considering:

Scheme 1
    Denon DV2800 Component direct to BNC component on Panny
    Everything else (Video, PS2, Sky) through AV processor on S-VHS to get the video and audio switching. Out the processor in S-VHS into the Panny in S-VHS.

Scheme 2
    Denon DV2800 Scart to VGA1 on Panny using either of the aforementioned box of tricks! Everything else (Video, PS2, Sky) through AV processor on S-VHS to get the video and audio switching. Out the processor in S-VHS into the Panny on VGA2 or Component. Not sure which is better?

Any comments, suggestions or potential improvements?

PS Pronto on order to control it all!

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    A ideal set up would be to use a hybrid of both schemes.

Use the DV2800 component output (ideal if it's progressive too) to the component in on your screen. Then, with Sky use the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. PS/2, you'll have to double check for S-Video output (I'm an XBoxer).

And I use my Pronto to control everything - I've still got my main remotes handy, but when movie watching (last one I watched was Black Hawk Down - excellent film) I use the Pronto to control everything. Just get a copy of Pronto Edit and get files for your equipment from remotecentral.com

All the best,

Dr John Sim.
    J.S. Technology

14. Mikey K

Mikey K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that!

Pretty much what I had in mind!

Leaves me with one problem S-VHS from AV processor to VGA on panny.

Any commments, suggestions or proven solutions?

15. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mikey,

you can connect RGB to the VGA input via the RGB to Plasma VGA product, but you can't connect S-Video. For S-Video, your screen already has this circuitry and there's not much we can do externally that your screen isn't doing already.

So with Sky, use the TV output (set to RGB rather than PAL output in the picture settings menu) via the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. Using this direct route will give you a superior picture.

For your S-VHS, use S-Video. If you have a standard VHS video, then you can't use the S-Video input but only the composite (video) input.

Keep the DVD player as discussed earlier.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

16. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Gordon (I'm sure he'll be along soon ) advised me to keep the dv27 going to the component bnc inputs on the panny as then you can activate the 'cinema' setting on the picture ...

The sky+ will go via rgb (either via keene cable or symanski's box ... yet to decide ...) and then was looking to put PS2 on rgb throughput on sky+ box (if it can be done ?)

If not then whats the likely market for a switchable 2 x rgb scart to vga converter Symanski ??

If not the probably PS2 to s-video via amp ...

17. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Gordon will keep your right. Can't comment on new products as too many other companies just copy them, often with poorer results. They're too lazy to invent anything, so why give them any notice??

All the best,

John Sim.