Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

any benefits of using upscaling dvd player to hd compatiable plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Daddy k, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    well im looking into getting new dvd player for crimbo.

iv posted here as the plasma guys are usually more picky with the equipment than other users :smashin:

a fave of a lot of people is the little known brand of oppo
    they are oems of denon bose n few others. and must have it shipped from us.

now this upscales and has dvi connection and is v cheap (looks it too alas)

now does anyone have any experience or expertise in using upscaled dvd image to non hd ready (hd compat) plasma, and is it marketing hype or does it give a noticable plus??

i ask this because its a choice of the oppo if it gives great results on sd display or denon 1720 which is prog scan via component (oh and looks good n comes with a nice label :) )

in theory which would be the best?
    and anyone with expertise or experiance help out? :lease:

im sure this will help with a growing trend for upscaling players and us sd panel owners as to whether its worthwhile wasting our money going this route.

cheers guys :thumbsup:

2. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Be warned that Oppo upscales and runs SD through component output only in interlaced format...but I don't have hands on experience so I'll leave it at that...should be spot on with a 1080i compatible CRT...only Plasmas and LCDs need to de-interlace the signal first so the quality is very dependent on Plasma's deinterlacing logic...also, I don't see any benefits of upscaling to HD from a DVD player and then downscaling back to original resolution for SD plasma...the benefits of upscaling are felt only when connecting to a HD-res display device so I'd go for the Denon...in fact if you wanted a cheap and upscaling DVD (for connection to a future HD ready plasma) then Samsung HD950 seems like a better choice than Oppo since it can be hacked to also run upscaled via component, but if you have a DVI or HDMI equipped SD plasma like they come these days, HDMI 576p should be the best possible solution you will ever get from an SD display...

3. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    any more comments?

if! i go the denon route via component could i use a simple switcher to connect my xbox and dvd to my component? im guessing the answer is yes but more importantly will i notice a worse picture from either?

this would be a short term (3 months) untill i buy xbox 360 then connect that via dvi/hdmi.

but if there are any benefits for going with the oppo then this will connect to dvi and xbox will be the same (component) and xbox 360 will use same connection when i get that.

would HDMI 576p give me a noticiable difference from my current dvd player thru s video?

4. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    YES! The primary reason it would give you a better picture is that it is uncompressed digital RGB...and the secondary is that it is progressive scan while S-video is interlaced...why aren't you using RGB SCART with your current DVD anyway - even interlaced it is way better than S-video...

5. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    my panel only has 1 rgb scart :( and im using this for sky +

would a progressive component pic be noticably worse than HDMI 576p uncompressed digital RGB as u put it?

cheers for the replys very useful!

6. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    This is just my experience with my equipment.

My old DVD player is an almost five year old Sony 735 and outputted 576i over component into a HD display.

My new DVD player is a ten month old Pioneer 868 outputting 1080i or 720p over HDMI to DVI into the same HD display.

Do I really think it was worth spending the £700 for the improvement in PQ over my old analogue DVD player - definitely not.

The new Pioneer is better - but only just. I certainly wouldn't buy a DVD player again assuming that digital and up-scaling has to be much better than component from a decent "standard" DVD player.

7. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There will be only a difference in PQ if your Plasma doesn't scale as well as your DVD player.

As I'm told, only DVD Players for around 1000 Euros an up are capable of doing a better job in scaling than a Panny PV500.

So unless you have a real high end DVD player, there's no visible difference between DVD Player scaled and Plasma scaled. In that case, feed the plasma with 480P via YUV and you'll be fine.

8. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    i thought that but i have an lg! ;) so maybe the dvd players scaler might be better lol

9. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    krismc,
    if you have your DVD player connected via S-video, of course you have lousy picture because LG is scaling from a relatively bad source signal...I've seen the allmighty Panasonic PV500 plasma displaying an S-video source downconverted to SD from a 1080 HD box and it looked rather lousy...please get an RGB autoswitching box and connect the Sky box and the DVD layer to the switchbox and from there to the LG's RGB SCART...if your Sky box has 2 RGB -capable SCART sockets you can connect your player to the Sky box and from there to the TV's only RGB SCART...

Also, with a HDMI DVD player, if you suspect the plasma does the scaling better than the DVD player, it is still preferable to connect via HDMI in 480p or 576p mode because plasma then works on purely digital data - pure bliss...

P.S. get an RGB SCART switcbox...oh I've said that already...