1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Barco Data 500 owners out there? (My first pj!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cosaw, Apr 1, 2005.

1. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello all,

Just in the process of getting my hands on a Barco Data 500. There is little info on this pj on the net though I beleive it came out at the same time as the 800 and is like its baby brother.

So anyone with experience of the 500 - or even currently got one have any tips for me?

Currently been looking at the 800 operators manual. One site suggested the 800 operators manual and the 600 instalation manual. I downloaded both but the 600 instalation manual doesn't seem to bear much relevance - it seems to be an analogue chassi. Anyone know if manuals for the 500 exist - preferably downloadable?

I'm going for total blackout in room - the tubes are in very good condition but I beleive the 500 is not that bright?? Given this what sort of screen width max am I looking at for this pj?

I'm building a building a 7ft wide screen anyway - if the 500 won't do 7ft well then at least my screen is big enough for when I upgrade.

Going to feed it from my pc (VGA to 5BNC) and will only watch dvd really as film is my thing.

Any thoughts welcome,

Simon

P.S. Where can you get Unistrut from - preferably near Manchester.

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    use the 800 manuals they will be the same in all but the throw distance.

For the throw be very carefull. I'm not aware it was ever included in any version of the lens program. So you will probabaly have to do this by trial and error.

Unistrutt can be had from any good electrical wholesaler. The sorts of guys that you will find on industrial estates rather than high streets. Yellow pages will be your best bet the give them a call. ( they should sell all the bits that go with it too) (tends to come in a 3m lenth BTW so take a hacksaw or roof rack with you. don't go by bus)

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheers Roland for the info - yes in the lens program you can't pick the 500. Will have to maximise tube usage and then move my pj back and forth till it fills the screen. Have to go out hunting for the unistrut and some sort of rope and pulley mechanism to get the thing on the ceiling.

Thanks again,

Simon

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Case of beer and 4 friends?

I don't have 4 friends so I have to use a lift. (still drink beer though)

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Aye - its certainly a plan though would like to be able to do it myself if it came to it - most of my friends live in different parts of the country and can't really insist that we all meet up just to install my pj - not unless I could offer more than a case of beer! I'll sort it somehow!

Thanks Roland!