Any AVRs with fixed i/p sensitivity for use with Sonos?

r21442

Established Member
Reaction score
Just as the title says can any AVRs out there have an input configured as fixed input level so volume setting can default to the Sonos controller - analog or digital input feature though prefer the former. Had a look at my old Denon 1603 & Tag AV32 manuals and Onkyo 609 online but none has it. Anyone know of any?

BTW - the question has been asked on here by a few 2-3 years ago on here and nobody had a positive answer.

I might be a bit dense here and misunderstanding the question, but surely the volume setting defaults to the Sonos controller anyway? It's only if you set the controller to fixed volume that volume control switches to the amp.

Apologies if I've got the question wrong - it's been a very busy morning :)

Christam, If you don't do anything then both the Sonos and the AVR can control the volume. I want it such that in Sonos mode only the controller adjusts it, not the AVR.

Christam, If you don't do anything then both the Sonos and the AVR can control the volume. I want it such that in Sonos mode only the controller adjusts it, not the AVR.

I've just had a look at how mine is set up. In the living room, where a ZP90 is connected to the amp via an Arcam rDAC, it's Settings > Room Settings > Living Room > Line Out Level (Fixed). This gives volume control via the amp remote, which I prefer because I can have greater volume through the speakers. If I change the Line Out Level to Variable, the volume control reverts to the Sonos controller - or in my case, an iP4 and an iPad 2.

I want it such that in Sonos mode only the controller adjusts it, not the AVR.
As you already know, AVRs are not designed to meet this requirement:
BTW - the question has been asked on here by a few 2-3 years ago on here and nobody had a positive answer.
You can have the volume controlled by the AVR by using the Sonos' fixed level output, but the only way you can bypass the AVR's volume control is to buy one with power in connections. I cannot think of any current AVR having such functionality, and suspect there are none. People needing this sort of feature usually purchase separates: an AV processor/preamp and one or more power amps, or they add a stereo amp with a processor mode input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom