Question Any alternative to JRIVER that can output dolby digital

ageinghippy

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently trying JRIVER but managed to upset their CEO so he's locked me out of their support forums, oops.

Are there any other players that will ouput in dolby digital as JRIVER will?

TIA

Trevor

Kodi, Openelec, Mediaportal, MPC-HC, VLC etc. etc. :)

+1 for Kodi (Openelec, although other variants are good too, not Android)

Ok perhaps I haven't been clear enough or I just don't know enough to frame the question correctly. So with jriver it takes a say wma lossless audio file and outputs it to my yamaha reciver which displays dolby digital and gives a sound clarrity I love.

Does that help or confuse?

Trevor

The audio should just be passed through to the amp to deal with it so the sound quality should be down to the amp and speakers nothing to do with the media software on your PC

Thanks for that Jon Mace, that makes a lot of sense to me and before trying jriver that's how I saw (heard!) it. Perhaps I need to post a slightly different question?

Trevor

Isn't Dolby Digital a lossy codec?

What exactly is it you are trying to play?

Ooooh this is getting to be a steep learning curve lol.

Just a thought here, could it be that your amp is indeed getting a stereo signal as we'd expect, on your amp you've inadvertently selected the Dolby Pro Logic 2 option which is what's on your amps display.

Spyder, a range of music/video backup files.

Music mainly WMA lossless. But a few MP3 and FLAC mixed in.

Video folders backed up with DVDFAB to VOB and ISO .

Music is my main focus at presnt, I play WMA/FLAC/MP3 through WMC and receiver will display PCM. Cant see a way to natively apply any DSP settings in wmc

Same files through JRIVER with DSP settings and reciever display Dolby. Much prefer JRIVER sound
MR20_7.PNG
with attatched DSP settings

Just a thought here, could it be that your amp is indeed getting a stereo signal as we'd expect, on your amp you've inadvertently selected the Dolby Pro Logic 2 option which is what's on your amps display.
Thanks Jamie see post

I think you may be talking about WASAPI?

I don't use my HTPC for music much, but I do use WASAPI for video playback with MediaPortal. This bypasses the windows audio mixer, and sends everything to the amp as PCM. The quality is superb, then I can set my amp to apply a pro logic type setting to stereo soundtracks if I want to, I generally leave 5.1 soundtracks as they are.

As, I say, I don't hardly ever use the music section in MediaPortal, but looking at my music player configuration options, I have BASS engine / ASIO / WASAPI or internal dshow player.

Is this what you might be looking for? It's free software so you could give it a go. This is within MediaPortal 1, there is also MediaPortal 2 but that is very new and I don't know too much about that one, it may have similar music options.

THanks for that just reading about WASPI. I have looked a media portal. At the moment think I'm going to stick with JRIVER. Me and the CEO have kissed and made up, lol.

Still another couple of weeks on my trial so time yet.

Trevor

Yes, as @deleted member says, you ideally want WASAPI to pass the unaltered audio to your amp. By taking lossless and transforming into into lossy DD, this doesn't seem quite right to me!

Note that XBMC will do WASAPI for you as well.

Know what you mean @richardb70 but quality of sound using jriver as I've described is definitely an audible improvement to my ageing ears!
Will do some further testing @ weekend

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom