Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Question Any aerial I use doesn’t work properly, why?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Con731, Nov 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Con731

Con731
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    E47E8050-ABFD-405E-952F-47E5780132B3.jpeg 26F6D9EE-65C6-4359-8170-BA45A165AEEF.jpeg Hi everyone, I have been trying to set up freeview for weeks now, I’ve used 2 indoor aerials and they didn’t work at all. I purchased a really decent one yesterday (one for all SV9440) and it picks up signal, just really poor signal and only 11 channels.. and I for some reason can’t get it working properly, I’ve tried so many positions, tilting it, heights and it’s just really glitchy. There are 2 pictures attached that show what I mean..

2. Vin Blanc

Vin Blanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Are you connecting the aerial directly into the TV or via a Freeview receiver of some sort?

There are many possibilities why your set-up isn't working, my first guess would be that the position of the aerial is too well screened from the direction of the incoming freeview signal i.e. inside and probably downstairs in the house?

Vin Blanc

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,220
    You have to have several conditions to use an indoor aerial.

1 Live really close to a transmitter.
    2 Use it on the same side of the house
    3 Thick stone walls, foil lined plasterboards and low energy double glazing are the kiss of death for RF.

Do you have a loft ?

Best to use a compact outdoor aerial like a log periodic if you have to fit it indoors.

Enter your postcode here and tick the detailed view to give us an idea of what sort of signal level you are likely to be working with.

Digital UK | About the coverage checker

4. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The UK's UHF TV transmitter network is designed around the use of directional aerials, outside at 10 metres above the ground.

Indoor / set top TV aerials explains why room aerials seldom work well or reliably.

Location? (Town, suburb or village name) may allow us to estimate the likely signal levels in the area. A postcode of a very nearby shop, pub, church or business would allow us to be more accurate. {Essex is served from a variety of main and relay transmitters.}

5. Vin Blanc

Vin Blanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks both Graham and Rodders, Personally, I felt very reluctant to tell the OP straight out that my initial thoughts were “that he had simply wasted his money buying “indoor” type aerials”.

Lets hope that he supplies some answers to your questions so that we can help him further.

Vin Blanc