1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any AE100 & ISCAN Pro Users Out there

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by azzo, May 9, 2003.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Iscan Pro is now less than 400 quid from av-sales.
    Thinking of getting one. Has anybody tried using this combo
    with PAL. I read some threads a while ago, but there was not much info about PAL. All my discs are in PAL.
    Specifically I would like to know.
    a) Do you connect via the VGA port or Component port on the PJ
    b) What output does the projector read (625p/SVGA)
    c) Do you suffer any lipsysnc problems
    d) Is it worth the upgrade.
    Oh and don't ask about HTPCs:mad:
    Many thanks
    Peter Azzopardi

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Hi mate
    I had this set-up before changing PJs. Loved it, Iscan was the best thing I did.
    I used Iscan to component so as to leave VGA for PC gaming.;) and all was lush. PAL stuff came up 625p if I remember rightly.:) (pretty sure it was)..

The upgrade is very noticeable, you wont want to go back afterwards and also get the option of adding things like Sky through it.:)

Lip Sync, I'm pretty sure I had a slight issue but that was something I was able to sort with my amp

3. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes azzo I'd agree with Steve. I've used the pro with a hopper sv10 and now my panny 100 (when I get it back ouch!!)

The present set up is SKY rgb out to RGB to s-video converter (letropaks) then via s-video to the pro then obviously the pro to VGA great results and it's nice to have that extra tweakability with the contrast on the pro.
    I have to say that even though my my ancient pioneer DV717 has a s-video output I prefer the RGB to the converter as I believe it gives better results.

As you may or not know my panny100 developed a green stripe on the right side of the screen the saturday before last. When I initially contacted that same day , 'Sound & Vision' about this problem.
    A chap there recommended for me to remove all that "crap in the chain" (meaning the iscan and rgb to svideo converter) and go s-vidoe from the pioneer straight into the panny (this was to try and ascertain the cause of the green stripe in his own words these devices caused instability issues) .
    Well I took every thing out of the chain as suggested it was now pioneer-svideo-panny. My gawd the picture was crap. When putting the pro iscan and the rgb svideo converter into the chain the image quality was once again superb. Why even the green stripe looked beautiful.
    So yes the iscan pro well worth it
    One last comment. A friend who brought round a very cheap but new DVD player a 'Logix'(£70 second hand) The image quality easily out performed my DV717 . Now that DV717 was a state of the art player when purchased 4 years ago selling initially around £600. So things have really improved . Another irony was (for my freind) that that same machine he thought was such a bargain at £70 well within his 'mug factor' was being advertised in the Daily Mirror via Jeremy Beadle for £59 plus fourfree DVD's !!.
    Oh well

4. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is all sounding promising, but I am still a little concerened
    abut the lipsync issues. My amp doesn't have a delay. (although it says you can get a slight one by setting the speakers to closer than they are, it a STRB-840)
    How bad is the lipsync, is it liveable with.
    I am also wondering how it copes with macrovision? (I will be
    mainly going through component DVD/PS2/GC)
    Thanx azzo.

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I dont really know anything about macrovision I'm afraid so cant help you there.
    The lip sync wasn't majorly bad, I couldn't promise it would be resolved by using the centre speaker delay. Hopefully someone else can advise.
    Alternatively, if you're considering buying one from retail it may be worth asking if they have a demo unit you can borrow for a night or two.:) Always worth asking..