1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice?

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    've been looking in to all this and am intruiged. I've just ordered a couple of Skype USB phones but before I sign on the line I want some advice from folk who know.

Basically we call Canada, Norway and France alot. My phone bill is .....large. Skype's ability to allow you to buy a local number in each country is interesting to me. It means that our friends and relatives who do not have broadband can call us at their local rate. Does anyone else offer this? I looked at sipgate after reading posts here and they don't have that but do have reciprocal arrangements with a handful of voip companies I've never heard of.

We want cheap calls to those countries but also an ability for the folk in those countries to call us cheaply as well. Ideas?

Gordon

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,406
    Hi Gordon,
    I won't be any help, I'm afraid because I (like most people, I expect) just use Skype to chat to other Skype users on their PCs.
    So I didn't even know that it's possible to buy this cheap number.
    If you give it a punt, please let us know how you get on.

3. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Gordon, Skype may do it for you...I have a real dislike to them as they are a proprietary service. I.e. they don't follow SIP and you can't call other VOIP via the Internet unless they are Skype customers....A bit like if you had BT you couldn't speak to NTL customers...

But saying that, they have a great marketing machine, budle really cheap hardware and fool people into thinking that they get a great service...Remember VHS and Video-2000, so Skype may be the overall winner...

But if Skype does it easily what you want to do which it probably does, go for it...Remember that you will have ongoing monthly charges as well....

If you want to go the SIP standards route and be able to talk to anyone for free on the Internet except Skype users and have really cheap international calls...Take a look at http://www.voipproviderslist.com...You see that Canada has got 81 providers listed, Norway has got 3 (Telio has got an agreement with Sipgate), France has got 15....

Remember that SkypeIn does not provide service in Canada nor Norway, and that it is only in Beta testing stage as well....On the positive side, when/if it becomes available it is probably a lot easier to setup...

Then again setting up a SIP phone is not that difficult either...I've got mine fully integrated with our normal home phones, so both BT and VoIP go on the same phones (WiFi and fixed), same voice-mail, and my Asterisk PBX (software based) will deal with all the least cost routing...