Any Advice?

bpsmith

I am looking to get an ATV2 again soon. Replaced the 1st Gen one I had with a Mini to use Plex in the Lounge. Didn't have any other HDMI TV's to use it on and sold it a few months back after over a year of gathering dust...then we just decided to replace the ageing screen in the Kitchen with a new Samsung 22" White LED that my Wife fancies.

Anyway, can't decide which way to go with the ATV. How easy is Plex to install and run daily? Does it look as nice as the full version on the Mini? Has it been updated to a Laika version?

Or should I go back to converting for iTunes compatibility?

What's the WiFi like on the ATV as the Kitchen is through a solid thick wall with cupboards on both sides?

next010

Distinguished Member
Is the Samsung a SmartTV or just a basic one, there is a Laikia Plex client for Samsung telly's and it works well enough having tried it out myself.

bpsmith

next010 said:
Is the Samsung a SmartTV or just a basic one, there is a Laikia Plex client for Samsung telly's and it works well enough having tried it out myself.

It's not, unfortunately. I did check out the Sammy Plex client but couldn't see anywhere I could get it without a username and password for the website?

How is it compared to the Mac Client? Much the same?

Might be able to find a Smart TV for slightly more but cheaper than separate units. Would lose AirPlay though then.

next010

Distinguished Member
Video here of the newest version, to get it you have to PM the hd1080 guy on the Plex/Samsung subforum and he gives you the login details to the website were you can install the plugin.

It is not as slick as desktop client animation wise but it looks the same and works well enough, everything played fine but I was on an ethernet link, the developer does not recommend wireless for HD content with Samsung client.

Only works on C/D series SmartTV's, unfortunately you can't just press the media player remote button and have it jump to Plex you have to go through the app hub each time to run it.

noidea

This is absolutely brilliant. Only problem is that my files seem to play in 4:3 whereas on my mac and mac mini they play in 16:9. Any idea which setting I've got wrong?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom