Any advice please on setting up a website

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lpoolm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    So I have thought of an idea for a website that I can not find anything similar so i want to set it up myself... It will be community based, no subscription more for information and would ideally like a forum but this can be a lot further down the line!

However, I have never built a website before, I have watched plenty of vids/read forums and there is loads of info out there but thats the problem, so much choice.

I do not want to go down one route than realise its too hard or too restrictive and have to start again so any advice of someone doing something similar would be great.

I have no experience of programing so will be looking at the easier options like Wordpress which seems to be more user friendly than other ways but already having problems for example putting pages within pages!

I understand the whole domain name, site hosts etc it is just the actual website. I have it pictured in my head but getting it onto a computer is the next problem:D

Any/all advice would be great!:thumbsup:

2. Penski

Penski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    It really depends on what you want to create - is it a very simple static site? Will there be custom data stored, or special features like searches etc? My personal opinion is that you will really struggle if you do not have some knowledge of HTML / CSS, and a web coding language such as PHP with MySQL.

I've never explored Wordpress or the likes, so can't comment on that.

3. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for quick reply, the site will contain information (useful I hope) but it will heavily depend on users adding to it to build the data base.
    My plans with this were details would be emailed to me so I can add to posts within each section.
    Sorry for not being clearer but do not want to say my idea is.... Incase someone goes off and does better than me! :)

4. razer1

razer1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Wordpress and the likes are great if a prebuilt template exists.. If not, a template needs to be created which without coding knowledge is hard.

Is it a custom theme for the site your thinking of or just the use of the site?? There are plenty of forum engines about but requires some knowledge or lots of time to setup and run.

I would be looking at learning basic HTML5 and CSS3 as a starting point and then for a easier content system, look at couchcms. - Home | CouchCMS - A simple and Open-Source CMS for web designers

Couch can be bolted onto any HTML based design and gives a great editing system without needing to
    touch code once running. I use it myself for clients sites as is simple, secure, uncluttered with only features used in it..

Some more info on what your thinking would help too.. ** Edit.. Just seen new post! lol.. **

Also some more things to think about... :)

Dont just plan for desktop based visitors! A surprising amount of webtraffic exists from mobile browsers from phones & tablets. Well planned websites should be responsive to screen size and adapt accordingly and are usually planned to adapt with things like menus shifting and only certain content shown..

5. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for feedback, looks like I need to take a look at learning some new things.

I am showing my ignorance as I thought building a website was just a bit of cut and paste :-(

Well I like to learn new things, this may be bigger than I first expected!!!!

6. razer1

razer1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    To do properly and effectively is very time consuming. Hence why web developers and designers are paid huge bucks! :)

Having at least an understanding of HTML/ CSS / Jquery/ javascript means you know whats possible and whats not.

Some things can be cut and pasted like gallery plugin's or a menu animations. Most of a website is hard coded though. HTML knowledge also helps troubleshooting problems if cut/pasting things. And believe me You will spend a lot of time troubleshooting! :)

Helping to code a website is not really something that can be done by anyone on here really, not a full site anyway due to the work involved.
    If you went the coding route and couch, couch has a great forum and documentation section with some great features. Obviously not as full as Wordpress as couch isnt as old but in constant development and the developers are great and active in the forums too which helps! W3 schools is a great site to teach yourself coding plus the usual Youtube tutorials..

7. maxwell

maxwell
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,276
    nearly finished building one myself using WYSIWYG Web Builder 9 which is really easy to use and has an MS Office feel about it, it also has all the advanced features such a javascript CSS etc, plus the ability to edit the code itself if need be, took me about 4 hrs playing to feel comfortable with it but have now almost completed a 15 page site which I began with a single page template

8. THE_FORCE

THE_FORCE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,454
    I'm creating a new website at the moment using Webplus X7, it being only the second website I've created - the first using Webplus X5.

You don't need to know any coding, and there's loads of templates available for it should you wish to go down that route. You also have the option to create mobile specific versions of your sites that get redirected to after being auto-detected by the browser in use.

I think it was PC Advisor or similar that recently voted it best Web design software in the sub £100 category.

Also, after doing some research, it seems that the current trend is leaning towards simple, decluttered web pages where less is more...with a 'flat look' i.e no fancy shadow effects or gradient fills. Not only does it give your site a cleaner representation, but it should allow for your pages to load faster (if designed sensibly).

:thumbsup:

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    Have you looked at the various wiki infrastructures available then? MediaWiki is the familiar one that Wikipedia uses but there are plenty of others as well as websites comparing them.

10. lpoolm

lpoolm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks all for the advice, looking at whats involved in coding for beginners !!:D

Also just having a quick google on the below software recommendations, if I get anywhere I will keep you folks updated!:thumbsup:

11. taz1941

taz1941

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Don't be put off!...i got into html by my bro. showing me how to change the colour of a background. I read up on it and learnt new things for myself. Take it one step at a time and your confidence grows with seeing your code active. we all start somewhere. Once you get the basics, you can build on this, in turn your website grows to your design and function. Be patient, have fun and enjoy learning

12. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,241
    Wordpress + Suffusion Theme = Website.

html/css/java skills are great to have, but really not needed these days to get a decent looking website put together.

The Suffusion theme for Wordpress is in one word Awesome.
    Completely customisable from within it's own control panel, all GUI based point and click, with no actual coding required whatsoever.