Any advice on Sennheiser PX 100?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by johann1979, Jul 29, 2005.

1. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on buying some better phones for my HD5 and was wondering if anybody knows anything about the Sennheiser PX100's? I have two main questions; What is the bass handling like and are they very noisy to fellow passengers on trains and buses? Thanks loads - extremelydodgy if you're out there...!

2. GlynG60

GlynG60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have been very pleased with them, and would recomend them as a very good upgrade. The bass handling is good for the price, especially cosidering the source. Listening to a CD on my home set up is better as would be expected, so not really the fault of the headphones. How noisy they are to others depends on volume levels, but I have never had complaints, even when sitting next to my wife on flights. If it is a concern you may like to check out the PX200 that is a closed design and is therefore quieter which are available at the following for a very good price:
    PX 200 link
    but the PX 100 is currently available at a cracking price here:
    PX 100 link

I hope that helps.

3. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that helps loads:) It's just the PX100 (in white, not my natural choice though) are up for 17.99 from Play.com. Big bargain:)

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    WHITE PX100's? I implore you not to do that... there must be some black ones going cheap. Wasn't there an AVforums offer actually?

It stands to reason in flights people beside you won'tbe able to hear as much of the phones than in say public transport. The PX100 does leak quite a bit, and provides no isolation. The PX200 does provide a useful degree (a bit less than the Sony EX71 though) and doesn't leak but sounds slower, more muffled and for want of a better word, lumpier in the lows.

For mini phones, I use the PX200 myself because I find the sound tradeoff acceptable for the added usability from some isolation. I have ordered the AKG K26P to see what they're like.

5. Buttles

Buttles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my PX100's 18 months ago and continue to be really impressed with them. They out perform my (admittedly older) Sony headphones which were about £80 8 years ago through both my separates and iPod.
    They have an even balanced sound that is easy to listen too. They do leak sound though as mentioned above.

Recommended Highly :smashin:

6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dodgy I agree, white is hideous - and you know my stance on the whole iPod look. :) Black ones are only a tad dearer anyway. Thanks to everyone for your advice. One of my main concerns is actually it leaking sound. I have been reading a bit about the PX200's and most sites such as www.headphone.com reckon the PX100s sound better.

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Johann I have the PX100'S and they are good but they do leak sound quite badly. I eventually went for the Sennheiser in ear MX500's for 15 quid and they are excellent. (Now also available in white!!! :D )

8. Buttles

Buttles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How do the MX500/550's compare to the Sony EX71s? My wife wants a mini ipod and I want to get her something better than the ipod standard ones.

Apologies for diverting the thread.

9. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I own both and the Sony's are a dog. Ok bass muffled treble. Sennheiser MX500 kicks its ass!