Any advice on elderly care

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mikeclark007, Jul 15, 2016.

1. mikeclark007

mikeclark007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Following on from my mums recent passing I've been looking after my elderly grandparents (late 80's) who are in a retirement property.

The property is owned by them and was bought through the Joseph Rowntree Trust who manage the property.

Grandad had a fall the other week and is still in hospital having broke his hip.

As Grandma is disabled (wheelchair bound) she has had to be moved into a nursing home.

Grandad has been my Grandmas primary carer for years and from now all that will have to change. Equipment has been moved into their property to help with my Grandma while my Grandad is still weeks away from returning having not even started full physio yet.

They are financially sound but I understand a financial assessment is done to determine if they need any help. I have heard that the threshold is about £23k.

As they have only slightly above this amount it will soon go and the level of care they require would equate to hundreds of pounds a week.

They are worried about everything they've ever earned being spent on care. Does anybody know about these financial assessments and the criteria for getting additional support?

2. Axl

Axl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,557
    Just asked the wife you. She says each council has slightly different methods but the crux is...

Call your local social services and explain the situation ASAP, they'll go through everything with you.

The threshold is £23,250 or £46,500 for a couple - ask for a financial assessment. If they're only just above that set the wheels in motion now so the council can get the finance in place (it can take a while).

When you hit the threshold the council pay for the care with contributions from your grandparents dependent on income.

Who's currently paying for the nursing home for your grandma?

3. mikeclark007

mikeclark007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thanks mate. We haven't had a bill yet but she panicked and refused the financial assessment but once she is out of there my grandparents will have to pick up the bill.

4. Axl

Axl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,557
    If she's refused the assessment already they'll automatically be classed as self funding in which case they're on their own.

If their cash/accounts/isa's etc total between 23-46k then they won't have to pay in full for the stay and they'll qualify for help at home with contributions.

Your original post reads as if they have just above 23k, if that's right then they need that assessment now or this will end up happening because, as above, they should qualify for help now.

5. mikeclark007

mikeclark007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    No such luck mate. I did some digging earlier and it looks like they have about £40k sat in their Halifax current account - they sold a large detached Bungalow to downsize to the Retirement property and I think they have some money in ISA's.

No chance of a quick withdrawal / transfer then to make them look like they have less? As if being elderly isn't bad enough but my Grandad is ex-navy and seems adamant their money isn't "wasted" on care. I've told him he doesn't have much choice and is generally quite 'with it' mentally.

6. DIYlady

DIYlady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Is the current value of their property factored in to the threshold

7. mikeclark007

mikeclark007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Apparently not. The property is valued at around £140k. As its bought through the JRF which is a charitable organisation you get the same amount back when it comes to selling it.

No doubt once the cost of the care starts eating into the savings it will inevitably need selling to fund the care they will be receiving for the rest of their lives.

Never seems to end for me at the moment. I lost my mum a few months ago and now this - oh and the one thing I did have to look forward to which was a holiday in September was booked through Lowcostholidays that went bust on Friday!

8. Axl

Axl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,557
    As long as either or both is living in the property it's untouchable.

Sorry to hear it mate, sounds like you've been up against it recently :(

Don't let this get you down as well, if in doubt ring social services even if it's just to put your mind at rest. It's their priority to give care at home where necessary as it's better and cheaper for everyone involved.