Any advice greatly appreciated...

dafunk2

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new TV (I currently have an old 42" Panasonic plasma that is starting to suffer from screen burn) and I'm currently looking at the 2 below TVs...
Panasonic tx49fx700b
Sony kd49xf8505bu
Does anybody have any experience with either of the 2 TVs, or can offer me any advice. I'm looking for a 49/50" screen and absolute max budget is £700.
Thanks guys!

I'm looking to purchase a new TV (I currently have an old 42" Panasonic plasma that is starting to suffer from screen burn) and I'm currently looking at the 2 below TVs...
Panasonic tx49fx700b
Sony kd49xf8505bu
Does anybody have any experience with either of the 2 TVs, or can offer me any advice. I'm looking for a 49/50" screen and absolute max budget is £700.
Thanks guys!

XF85 at 49" is VA suited for straight on viewing, the FX700 is IPS for wide viewing angles, unless you need wide viewing angles avoid the Panasonic as it will have poorer screen uniformity and overall picture quality.

Coming from a Plasma you might be disappointed with an LCD though and really should be looking at OLED but they are only in 55" or above currently and are quite expensive starting at around £1200.

XF85 has limited HDR performance and for HDR to really shine you need to look at the XF90, they are both 120hz panels so are good to avoid 3:2 pulldown for 23.9fps content, other tv's in 49" are only 60hz.

50" models are all VA and 60hz and are about the same across the board with the LG being the best for smart services and OS, Hisense being the best value for money.

General Buying Tips

Thanks Analysis! Unfortunately my budget can't stretch to an OLED - so ideally looking for the best picture for my money. I tend to use Sky Q and Netflix and don't really have the need for a wide viewing angle

The Sony is the TV for you then, look at any Sony including the model number 49XF85 or 49XF87 - they are the same TVs with many different model numbers.

Here is a search:

XF87
XF85

Also, really consider going larger different model if you can, for UHD to be a benefit you really need a massive screen, even 65" is not big enough for most peoples viewing distances but a 55" will open up much better value options and give you a nice boost in immersion and detail compared to 49".

Generally manufacturers don't care much for TVs lower than 55" anymore and you can actually get a better overall TV at 55" for the same price or less than one at 49".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom