Any advice for my faulty tv troubles

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Scuttlerx, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

Just wondered if I could get a few opinions off people about my current situation.

Condensed version, my hitachi 32pd5300 which was brought last april developed a fault in dec/jan, has been unuseable since start of feb, and is still no where near being fixed...the initial fault was a loud clicking sound from the rear...

After 2 engineer visits and approx 3-4 weeks a new board was fitted but when he was finished tv wouldnt switch on, no response from controls/buttons, just a red power light, 2 weeks later tv got taken into workshop. 4 weeks later tv was returned with variety of new parts, 10 mins later tv started switching itself off, then on, then off, and 1 day later dead as a dodo not even a red power light.

Have now been told it will be another 2 weeks before they can pick it up then x amount of weeks again while they "repair" it.

To sum it all up ive now been 2 months without a tv (3 months with a fault of one sort or another), with another month at least of repairs/collections ahead, and warranty which will be expiring soon.

My question is, how long are they allowed to keep it in for repairs without providing a replacement? I phoned up Hitachi and asked for a replacement due to the huge time factor and they said we only replace when uneconomical to repair, and to contact my retailer (which I have and they should be getting back to me tomorrow after speaking to Hitachi). I was under the impression, from something I read on here in fact, they if they cant repair in a reasonable amount of time a replacement should be given.

If anyone could clarify my standpoint in this situation, and maybe give some advice to what I should do next, i.e who I should be going for and what to expect, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I think its time for you to contact trading standards/REtailer and hitachi CS use the phrase "lost confidence in the set" and ask for a refund send a recorded deliver letter to your retailer and to hitachi CS keeping copies...and give them 7 days to reply, make it clear you "wont accept another repair" and you want a full refund also state that must reply to you within 7 days of receipt of your letter. if you cannot reach a a suitable agreement (ie you get all your money back) then send another letter stating your intention to take them to court for supplying goods not of a reasonable standard, then yu can submit ll the forms online the "have you got a Tiny" Plasma TV thread has loads of info on this course of action, hopeflly it wont get to that tho

(you will need copies of any paperwork, and communication between you and the retailer/hitachi and dates times of faults and when you reported the fault, collections and returns)

3. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for the advice, I shall get in touch with the repairers tomorrow and ask for all the dates as they should have them on record.

Would the advice stand true if I wanted a replacement set as opposed to a refund, i'd be happy with either, just not another month wait for a botched repair.

I shall give the retailers another ring tomorrow and see if they have got anywhere, I dont know who I should be pursuing, im guessing it should be Hitachi under the terms of the guarantee, although the sale of goods act applies for a year aswell I believe. As fault has occured quite a while after the purchase im guessing it more the responsibilty of the manafacturer rather than the retailer?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    no your contract is with the retailer (they have a contract with their supplier), you can request a Brand new replacement but they will stall and not want to do it) be polite but firm and if you get no joy move it on to the next level you have IMO given them oppertunity to repair the set legally i think if you reject the repair you go to a refund rather than replacement (32" 5300 hasnt been supplied for a while now!) they may offer you another makemodel which you can decide on (dont accept a 6600 especially if you bought from RS)

5. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Heres a copy of the email I sent the retailer this morning, he asked for an email of events so far so he could start making enquiries, to be fair he seems the only one interested in helping me.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i personally would ditch the set and go for a newer larger display

7. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah thought the 5300 was discountinued, was hoping on getting a 5200 as a replacement instead as it suits my needs a lot better! If I had the room for a 42" i'd go for a 7200, but thinking about it a refund would be a better option as I paid 1425 for it and that would buy me a nice panny 37px60 now.

Imagined the 6600 might be offered but wouldnt accept that mainly because of the bad things I have heard about it and also largely because of the siz

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hitachi arent making the 32" any more nor selling the 37" in europe either

9. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah you have talked me into it! Is there any chance of them refusing the refund? only thing that is worrying me is its literally only a couple of weeks until its been 12 months (08/04/06), although I suppose fault has been for a lot longer than that.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    check warranty terms but as long as you report the faut before the end of the warranty you are covered and any repairs should be covered fro 30 days or similar from time of repair (even if that goes beyond the 12 months original) see what retailer proposes, if your not happ with the offer move it to the next level worse case scenario is you end up in court (unlikely to get that far)

11. dgharwood

dgharwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would go to this link:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/.

Read up on details and also possibly contact them before you contact store. They provide very useful legal advice and it is also a free service.
    Hope this helps.

12. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Superb thanks for advice, I was on the wrong tack really to start with, i'll go for the retailer now and hope for the refund.

I've pulled this quote off the trading standards website which may come in handy.

Id class having to throw in overtime and take annual leave for the engineers visits, collections, returns etc as significant inconvience not to mention being without a product thats used daily for 2 months.

Is it worth sending them an email now, then ringing them tomorrow, I can get my point across better in writing and I can make my intentions clear before I speak to them.

13. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cheers for the link, another couple of quotes to use:)

14. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    And a not so helpful quote, not sure how I would be able to prove the fault was present.Thinking back to when I first set the TV up, there were initially a few symptoms similar to the ones im having now, but literally stopped withing half hour and set was fine for the next 7-8 months, no way of proving it anyways.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    this is why you have to use the "lost confidence" line there is a whole seperate area of the sale of goods act that refers to merchantable quality etc etc etc this is why if at frst you fail you go to trading standards

16. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Gotcha, I shall fire off an email now then including the 'lost confidence' and also the trading standards quote and see what that have to say about it tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help, wish I found this forum a year ago. Didnt realise the multimedia box on the 5300 didnt take high def signals till about a month ago, paniced somewhat as i'd just brought a 360, but then I found the VGA lead :)

17. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Heres a copy of the email im about to send, am I along the right lines here?

18. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I went through a similar situation with a hotpoint dishwasher. It went wrong within 12 months. (I had a 2 year warrenty). Got repaired and went wrong again 6 months later. Both times it had new boards and components valued over £200. It went wrong again before 24 months. They visited or cancelled on the day no fewer than 8 times. I eventually got the insurance company for the warrenty to reimburse the full amount. In the meantime, I paid for the machine to be repaired. 8 months later it went wrong again. Called Hotpoint back (annoyingly I didnt realise the repair Id paid lasts for 12 months!). This time they sold me another years warrenty for £40 more than just repair. They came, repaired and were called back again shortly after. They then decided it was a lemon and said they had written it off. So back to the insurance company who then said "sorry - the new for old is only applicable after the first visit" I complained they had already repaired it and left my home saying it was fixed. No dice. They simply refunded the money.

The engineer that wrote it off claimed the problem was in manufacturing and that water was able to seep onto the electrics and burn them out. Efectively "Youve bought a lemon".

So - having played the Mr nice guy, I went after the retailler. I told them what had happened and apologised to them (suggesting I didnt think it should be down to them - but had no choice.) After 2 days, they agreed to deliver a brand new machine. Luckily this one seems to be ok. But I'd never buy another hotpoint. Our previous washing machine was just the same. 6 repairs in 5 years (on extended warrenty.)

Thank heavens for the sale of goods act. ;)

19. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Blimey, thought I was having bad luck!

Yes seems like the sales of goods act may be my saving grace here, relate to what your saying about not being the retailers fault, feel a little guilty almost as they are probably the least responsible out of all the parties but it seems to be the only way to get things done properly. If anyone thought it would be the manafacturer, but like HornyDragon said retailer is likely to have a contract with supplier/manafacturer so may eventually channel through to them.

20. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Make sure you use the terms "fit for purpose" and "manufacturing defects".

I dont think the 2 months wait in itself would be enough - but obviously quote everything that has and hasnt been done. And yes, use the "loss of confidence" line.

I would also end it by saying you hope this can be sorted amicably, but failure to respond with an acceptable solution within 7 days, you will be using your household insurance legal assistance and the matter will be dealt by my solicitor for a clear breach of the sale of goods act.

Get those "buzz" terms in there!

Good luck - let us know the outcome.

21. guv69

guv69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It Was - but turned out well in the end. I already got a full refund from the extended warrenty I had AND eventually a replacement. Its pretty much why I now dont think warrenties are worth paying for. (Though on this occasion it gave me a brucey bonus!) Actually what was quite funny - the underwriters that washed their hands were the same ones that had paid me out before! And it was Hotpoint I thought I was buying the warrenty from. Serves them right!

Indeed. I kept telling the retailler I didnt want to do this and had done everything in my power to get it sorted but had hit a brick wall. Dont feel too guilty though. When you get your refund - guess who your retailler will be going after!!! :D

22. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    oops ive already sent it :)

I have asked him to call me tomorrow to talk about it, I will take a note of the buzz words and make sure to mention them :).

See what your saying about the 2 months thing, they should be more specific about the reasonable time thing though, im looking at it as ive paid 1400 quid for an item which has been faulty 3 months out of 10 which is highly unreasonable to be but may not be to them! Im going to go more for the botched repair agruement, lost confidence, etc, but will use the time and inconvience as a back up. Perhaps im being too fussy but I cant see many people thinking more than 2 months is reasonable, if it was actually repaired now id be happy, it just the possibility of another 6 week wait on top thats getting my goat

23. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If I get the refund agreed my first question will be 'do you have any 37px60's'!

24. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just a little side-thought, is it going to matter that I dont have original packaging anymore? dont want to be screwed by a technicality! Have the manuals and things just not the box as it was rather too large to store

25. dgharwood

dgharwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't believe it will make any difference if you do not have the packaging. It is reasonable to expect people to do away with it. The most important thing is to have the receipt to prove ownership and date of purchase.

26. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, im rather stunned...

Got a phone call 10am this morning from the retailer, "I've sent an email off including your one to Hitachi and it normally takes them about 2 weeks to respond" this point I was thinking arghh another wait! but...."but they have got back to me straight away and in a rather unprecedented move by them have offered you a full refund"

Brilliant result, chap on the phone was a bit stunned they done it aswell but fair play to Hitachi, and to the retailer for being pleasant and helpful throughout.

Very slight 'downsides' is I have to arrange shipment back to the retailer then Hitachi will collect it, and then they will give the retailer a refund and it will then be passed onto me, we have already been discussing new tvs though! id like a 37px60, think availability with them is a bit of an issue at the moment though.

Anyway guys thanks for the comments and pointers, im sure they are the reason my situation has been resolved quickly and amicably :thumbsup: