1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice for an annoyed 36zp18p owner???

Discussion in 'TVs' started by filopastry25, Aug 6, 2002.

1. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this set for 4 months now and I've complained to the retailer since day one about all of the faults which are endemic to this set.

However the engineer from the retailer has refused to acknowledge there is any problem with it, saying that I "should expect a few problems with any TV", Toshiba have equally continued to claim that there is no inherent problem with the 36zp18p (even though we all know otherwise) and that I need to resolve the issue with the retailer (who is an authorised Toshiba dealer).

4 months on the retailer has finally offered me a replacement TV (ex-demo!!!!!!) which I do not want as its probably going to be worse than what I already have!!!

Basically I want to get a new model of TV (one without as many hidden features) but I don't see any way of doing this as neither Toshiba nor the retailer will admit there is a problem.

If anybody has any experience of dealing with this kind of problem I'd be greatful for their advice:(:(

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you considered the item to be faulty when you received it and you informed the dealer straight away, then your best port of call is your credit card company (hopefully you used one being such a large purchase) They will then handle things for you. Egg helped me send back a faulty monitor which I had replaced 3 times due to inherent problems. I bought the thing in September and finally was able to return it and get a refund in February.

Best of luck to you.

3. ag-dewey

ag-dewey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same problem with my Toshiba, but mine's a 21S04B. It's faulty, it has problems with the picture, but I had an engineer come out to look at it, who said that its up to spec and that its acceptable for any TV. I dont think its acceptable, I'm not at all happy with it, yet they wont change it because it has to have 3 seperate faults before they will replace it with a new unit. I bought it from Comet, but when I e-mailed them about the problem, they said it would be replaced if it was irrepairable, so I might be in with a chance if I qoute that, or show it to an engineer. Toshiba said that I should sort it out with the dealer, but its under guarantee, so they should hopefully give me assistance. I hope so, I dont want to be stuck with a dodgy TV for the next few years.

4. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response rct, unfortunately I don't have a record of any of my original complaints to the retailer, so the CC company mightn't be interested this long after the original purchase, but I'll give it a go anyway.

I'll probably also draft a letter to the Toshiba Customer services department, to say the least I'm a bit annoyed by them completely ignoring the problems, I think my 36zp18p and sd900e might be my last tosh purchases for a while.:(

5. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    First of all, check out the huge thread on this set from a few months ago. You will find a lot of useful info (including contacts).

Next, Toshiba need have nothing to do with you. Your contract under the sale of goods act is with the retailer alone. Whilst Tosh might help, any exchange/ refund has to come from the retailer.

If you bought it on credit card OR finance, then the finance company/ bank are just as liable as the retailer. As such, as others have said, take it up with them. But also tell the retailer that you are doing this as the chargeback will not only cost the retailer the price of the set, but the card company will hit the retailer with a HUGE chargeback fee.

PS

Don't write this model off totally. I have the same set and after it was swapped out (Empire didn't even argue about it) although you could see the 'features' if you looked hard for them, I came to live with it. Certain features seemed to fade away over time (I got it at Christmas).

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    filopastry,

as long as you actually did complain to the retailer and can give dates, your CC company isn't going to question whether or not you made the complaints. Inform the CC co. that you told the retailer that in your opinion, the goods were faulty on arrival and they have done nothing to address your concerns. Wait until the CC company tells you to contact the retailer though. Some card co's are better than others, you may be lucky... I personally have had very good results with Egg and Capital One.

Good luck again!

7. filopastry25

filopastry25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks networkguy and rct I'll give it a go.

Mind you I still want to give Tosh a piece of my mind, I'm fed up of them telling me that they've never heard of any of these problems before