Question Any advice appreciated - UK 50" 4k TV £400

NathanF92

Novice Member
Reaction score
Any advice appreciated - UK 50" 4k TV £400

Hi there. As a novice (and also poor) TV enthusiast, I've been the proud owner of a 32" Panasonic 1080p TV that I bought in 2010 after far too many hours researching the best TV in my budget. The blacks were/are great on it, and I still see some people with bargain 4k setups that don't feel like they look as nice.

That said, I'm looking to get a new TV that's bigger and that ideally has 4K on a shoestring budget, mainly for Netflix content currently but would like to be ready when the next gen of consoles drops. Have both a ps4 and xbox one but haven't sprung for a pro or X yet as I haven't had the screen to make it worth it. Game mostly on PC so am more of a casual console player, so if gaming looks good on the TV that's a bonus but not the primary concern. Mainly will be using for watching films and series and understand that effective HDR isn't going to be in my budget. Also don't watch live tv so freeview capabilities not a concern. If the sound is decent enough to save me from getting a soundbar for a little while that would be ideal.

Have seen this that seems to have decent enough reviews for the price range from Philips:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-50...ilips+50+inch&qid=1555061888&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Seems like the picture quality is decent for the price and I'm a sucker for a gimmick like the ambilight. From a few threads I've seen that Hisense seem to have a decent rep for budget sets? But something about a brand I know already seems reassuring, happy to be swayed though if people rate hisense higher!

Apologies for the essay, and thanks in advance for any help and advice!

TL;DR -
  • UK 50" 4K TV around £400 or less
  • Mainly netflix streaming
  • Casual console gaming
  • Don't watch live TV so not bothered about freeview
  • Open to any suggestions
  • Decent sound to tide me over until I can get a soundbar would be ideal

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You can have a look at the Samsung NU7400

Samsung UE50NU7400

Price is about the same, give or take and it has bit better performance when it comes to HDR content and in my opinion, the smart TV is better than the Phillips. And my fave part is the Remote. It's not your usuall 1000 button remote, it's very simplified and has a mic for voice search, if you are into that sort of thing.

If you do want to game on it in the future, it might be worth to spend a bit more and get the 55" model which has a 120hz refresh rate.

Samsung NU74 or Hisense U7A both equal in terms of picture quality and the best you'll get with HDR at this size and price.

To truly have decent HDR though you need to spend a lot more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom