Any advantage of REL sub if not using speaker-level input?

m1964

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a sealed sub to add to my powered Xeo10 speakers (65W x 2).
The "system" is a media streamer box with optical output to the speakers.
I plan to feed the optical signal to a small DAC/processor (MiniDSP 2x4 HD), that will give me 3 line level outputs, 2 for speakers crossed above 80-100Hz, and low level line input for the sub.
Ah, in addition, the sub has to be white to match the speakers....OK it does not have to be but I'd prefer white over black sub😉.

After looking for a while at what is available, return policy, etc., I narrowed my choices down to 3 subs:
1. REL T5i
2. SVS PB-1000
3. B&W ASW608.
Budget is $600 MAX.

I have read multiple articles and posts about advantage of REL subs that use high-level input vs. other makes that use low-level line input.

Since I have no choice but to use line level input, I wonder if REL would have any advantage over SVS or B&W in my application.
Also, I wonder if SVS with its 300w RMS nad 720w max power would be too much.
Thanks.

No, no advantage of rels high level input.
And no problem with having 300w or 3000w sub with a 20w or a 2000w strreo amp

I'd go for a decent sealed sub for music ie sb1000

The REL is a work of art :)

I have read multiple articles and posts about advantage of REL subs that use high-level input vs. other makes that use low-level line input.

I'd be interested to know what the claimed advantages are...

Of high level sub inputs? The sub receives the same signal as the front stereo pair, which helps it blend and avoid directionality.
Works very well with music.

Id much rather use the line level input from the mini dsp correctly crossed over than high level. Means the heavy load is taken away from the mains, allowing them to play louder with less distortion and allowing the sub to do its thing. I can’t see how having both the mains and the sub playing the same frequency range would be anything but problematic in terms of correct phase integration etc.

Deleted - multi post in error

Deleted - multi post in error

That begs the question if you have capable fronts why even add a subwoofer to the equation for music?

That begs the question if you have capable fronts why even add a subwoofer to the equation for music?

Which is a fair question. Partly because of multi tasking, and requiring a sub for Movie duties. But for music, a fast sealed sub with high level inputs just adds extra bang for your buck, particularly at lower volumes., and helps to articulate the bass overall.

"connecting to the HIGH LEVEL input on the REL from the amplifier, you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain".

The above quote is from their manual.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your replies.
I just realized I made a mistake in my OP- I am consdering sb1000, not pb1000.
I already tried the speakers with a Canton AS200 sub, and I had to keep the voulme on the sub at minimum, otherwise the sound would become "boomy" and lose its "focus"/tightness.
I am not sure how the Canton would compare to either REL or SVS subs. I bought it about 15 y. ago, and cannot remember what I paid. I use Canton in my living room with Canton CD series speakers.
I cannot even find a manual for the sub online. I quess it has 200W output, based on its model number.
Again, thanks to everyone who replied to my post.

Which is a fair question. Partly because of multi tasking, and requiring a sub for Movie duties. But for music, a fast sealed sub with high level inputs just adds extra bang for your buck, particularly at lower volumes., and helps to articulate the bass overall.
Fair, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the audible differences between a bass managed set up (ie crossed over) and high level set up where both the mains and subs play the bass frequencies?

"connecting to the HIGH LEVEL input on the REL from the amplifier, you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain".

The above quote is from their manual.
Anyway, thanks a lot for your replies.
I just realized I made a mistake in my OP- I am consdering sb1000, not pb1000.
I already tried the speakers with a Canton AS200 sub, and I had to keep the voulme on the sub at minimum, otherwise the sound would become "boomy" and lose its "focus"/tightness.
I am not sure how the Canton would compare to either REL or SVS subs. I bought it about 15 y. ago, and cannot remember what I paid. I use Canton in my living room with Canton CD series speakers.
I cannot even find a manual for the sub online. I quess it has 200W output, based on its model number.
Again, thanks to everyone who replied to my post.
The most important aspect to get rid of boominess is subwoofer EQ. I’m yet to hear a good system without subwoofer EQ. My subs sound pretty bad without EQ, but with they sound amazing.

Fair, I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the audible differences between a bass managed set up (ie crossed over) and high level set up where both the mains and subs play the bass frequencies?

I haven't done a double blind A/B test, so wouldn't claim to be an expert. However, I used to have a Tannoy sub/sat system using line level of course with an 80hz crossover. I thought when I had it that the sub was pretty well integrated on music, but when I switched to my current B&W 603 / REL T5i setup, I realised what proper integration actually sounded like!

The sub really is totally invisible, no one listening blind would identify it as 2.1. IMHO.

I haven't done a double blind A/B test, so wouldn't claim to be an expert. However, I used to have a Tannoy sub/sat system using line level of course with an 80hz crossover. I thought when I had it that the sub was pretty well integrated on music, but when I switched to my current B&W 603 / REL T5i setup, I realised what proper integration actually sounded like!

The sub really is totally invisible, no one listening blind would identify it as 2.1. IMHO.

What amp are you using with the current setup?

It sounds like marketing talk. I don't see how a low level connection can't achieve the same result.

In fact the low level connection allows for full bass management and EQ, something a high level connection can not incorporate without additional equipment.

Last edited:
For my money you'd have to get pretty lucky with phase for high level to even improve things over no sub. Without a crossover applied on the mains you're running both subs and speakers over a significantly larger range than using any bass management.

I'm not convinced by "stereo bass" either.

What amp are you using with the current setup?

Pioneer LX79 AVR. I appreciate it's not the purists choice, but it does a more than respectable job with stereo.

Hi,
I am looking for a sealed sub to add to my powered Xeo10 speakers (65W x 2).
The "system" is a media streamer box with optical output to the speakers.
I plan to feed the optical signal to a small DAC/processor (MiniDSP 2x4 HD), that will give me 3 line level outputs, 2 for speakers crossed above 80-100Hz, and low level line input for the sub.
Ah, in addition, the sub has to be white to match the speakers....OK it does not have to be but I'd prefer white over black sub😉.

After looking for a while at what is available, return policy, etc., I narrowed my choices down to 3 subs:
1. REL T5i
2. SVS PB-1000
3. B&W ASW608.
Budget is $600 MAX.

Since I have no choice but to use line level input, I wonder if REL would have any advantage over SVS or B&W in my application.
Also, I wonder if SVS with its 300w RMS nad 720w max power would be too much.
Thanks.

Rythmik with Servo control 629$, easily best choice! Price includes shipping to 48 US continental states only.

It sounds like marketing talk. I don't see how a low level connection can't achieve the same result.

In fact the low level connection allows for full bass management and EQ, something a high level connection can not incorporate without additional equipment.

I can only speak as I find, and I have a completely integrated sub with no hint of boominess or directionality.

A line level connection is by definition not going to be exactly the same as the signal sent to the fronts.

Pioneer LX79 AVR. I appreciate it's not the purists choice, but it does a more than respectable job with stereo.

I see. I'm just trying to get my head round it.

What are your amp settings when listening to stereo and how is it connected to the sub?

I think we are comparing apples to oranges. I'm sure the Rel would be an upgrade over what you had previous from the tannoy. However the improvement you are finding probably has everything to do with it being a better sub overall rather than whether you're using high or low level.

In fact for best subwoofer integration most would say use the low level connection as it enables bass management and eq. The integration should be seamless such that you cannot tell when the speakers roll off and the sub takes over.

Last edited:
A line level connection is by definition not going to be exactly the same as the signal sent to the fronts.

but this is a good thing. Again, you’d have to get pretty lucky for “double bass” to sound good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom