Any Advances Drivers here?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by steven_9709, Jun 14, 2015.

1. steven_9709

steven_9709

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I've been considering doing an advanced driving course. There seems to be mainly two, RoSPA and the Institute of Advanced Motorists.
    Anyone currently training for this or have recently completed training? Would appreciate any views etc. Thanks :)

2. Barbs77

Barbs77
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,834
    have thought about doing this too. Can it help with Insurance quotes.

3. djbsom

djbsom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Hi. You're right, the two best known (that are available to the general public) are the I.A.M. and Rospa tests. I've received and taught the IAM course and have had limited exposure to the Rospa course. The biggest difference between them being the grading. With Rospa you can be graded gold, silver or bronze whereas with the IAM you pass or fail.
    I think it's fair to say that the IAM standard is higher than the Rospa gold but there will no doubt be some who say otherwise. Either way, even the Rospa bronze rated drivers can justifiably claim to be 'advanced'.
    There are other vocational 'advanced' courses that are available/required for the likes of fire appliance drivers etc but I've no experience of those.
    Yes there are discounts given by car insurance providers but you will find the biggest savings are from better fuel economy and less maintenance costs.
    Generally speaking, drivers who have done this type of training are surprised at the huge difference it makes and will recommend it to anyone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Rob8980

Rob8980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I did my I.A.M course about 13 years ago and to be fair it was an interesting and worthwhile course. Don't think I have noticed to much in the way of reduced insurance premiums etc.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,320
    I was an advanced driver with the fire service. Could get between 5 and 10% discount with various companies. Some of those discounted policies were still higher than the cheapest so you would still have to shop around. I don't enquire about it any more since I've retired.

Will such a course improve your driving? Without doubt.