1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any 36" TVs without problems???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by oreoboy13, Jan 6, 2002.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From reading this and other forums it would seem that the Toshiba 36" and the Sony 36" both have probs, the Toshiba's are well documented and i have read somewhere else the Sony is prone to geometry problems. This is really starting to put me off :)

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the other 36" Tvs and if they have any know problems?

I am starting to get really confused now, i have saved all this money up for a new 36" and every time i decied on a TV i seem to find reasons to change my mind :)

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think they all have some sort of problem or another! It seems to be a matter of finding one with the least annoying number of faults!
    The Panny TX36PL30 & TX36PB50 seem to be ok at the mo. Im waiting to see what further comments current owners have before I take the plunge. :confused: :)

3. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on ppl please give us your experiences with 36" TVs, because the more i read the more concerned i am bout shelling out my money. It seems like all the reviews i have read arn't worth sh*t.

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    I have a Panasonic TX36PF10.

Do yourself a favour, take a look at Loewe. Best reviewed in my opinion.

Kev

5. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Yeah, I can imagine how your feeling.
    When you read the reviews in the leading mags, and you know what mags I mean, treat them only as guides not gospel, and take some of them with a big pinch of salt!

All big crt tvs are gonna experiance varying degrees of problems, usally geotry as the grounds magnetic force causes the picture to bend. To counter this large magnets are place inside the sets. However a knocked or dodgy unit can cause all hell to break loose.

In my experience the the Sony 36FS70 (if you not bothered about built-in DD or DTS) has the best picture. You can also press the up cursor on the remote control to hide any minor geotry problems you might find. This shifts the whole picture up hiding the faults off-screen.

But you really should demo every large screen your might be intersted in and don't buy mail order. Many high street stores such as Allders and John Lewes will price match Mail order companies and offer free extended warrenties. Plus its easier to return goods if you do end up with a bad unit or one that has a fault that bugs the hell out of you!!!!

Good luck

6. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying,

Loewe only do 32" (or 38" but for £3600)

Yeah picture quality is my only concern, I thought about about the Sony FS70 and the Toshiba 36ZP and was really pleased about what i saw when i looked at them at John Lewis..etc. I then dicovered this forums, and i was horrified by the number of faults. Its almost made me decide to stick with 28" 4:3 JVC :)

I can see the sense of buying from John lewis, etc but when i asked they said the dont Internet proce match anymore, and seeing that a saving of upto 500-600 pounds can be made its quite hard to not choose the internet sites.

I suppose what i am really trying to find out is if anyone has found a make or dealer that has minimum problems.

Also how come these sort of things are never discussed in the major magazines?

7. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proud owner of the SONY FS70.

Can honestly say this has to be the best TV i have had the pleasure to watch.

Geometry is spot on.

No staining.

Colours are very natural (no bleeding)

No digital artifacts on DVD/SKY (Pictures on DVD are gobsmacking)

Features....... twin tuners, pip, pop, rgb set up, screen tilt, drc 50/100, multi picture and picture freeze.

First saw this TV in curry's, poorly set up, but still had the best picture in the showroom.

In the past iv'e had...... Hitachi 36" scan lines were visable and a big fingerprint in the middle of the screen when it switched to 16.9.

Phillips/Panasonic 32" geometry all over the place and too many artifacts.

Will not be changing this Sony for a while.

Good luck in your search.

;)

8. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where di you buy you're Sony from as i have read many complaints on this very site?

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Purchased mine from The Sony Shop

10. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Christ how much did that cost?

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got them down to £2500

12. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the thing you probably have a good set because you bought it from the sony shop, but you can get it for £1700 on the net.

13. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't matter how much you pay, they all come from the sony factory, set up is another story, should all be within an acceptable tolarence.

14. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If thats the case it just seems to be pot luck wether you get a good TV or not

15. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have hit the nail right on the head, get an engineer who's had a good night, and he will perform miracles on the set he is working on.

16. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The problems with mail order companies are probably not talked about in mags as most of the advertising comes from mail order companies.

Try Allders, they DO price match the net. Take a print off, of the web page with the price and details on it.

I just got screwed over on a mail order buy and am really regretting ever doing it. I bought a Toshiba 900e dvd player from Leading Edge Concepts Ltd. They flashed the firmware to make it multi-region and have screwed it up completely, Im on my third unit from them and it still crashes all the time.

They are refusing to refund me and only offer me another model that I dont wont. So my point is, once you buy from most mail order companies don't expect to see your money again if theres a fault with whatever you buy.......Once bitten & all that!!!