• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any 17" WUXGA (1920x1200) laptops at a reasonable price anywhere?

PAH

Been looking for a new laptop and having difficulty finding ones that have a WUXGA screen. Not too happy at having to sacrifice vertical height for width now they're all widescreen, when I'm not going to be watching movies on it, so WUXGA seems a worthwhile feature if it's available on mid-range laptops.

Anyone know of any sites where you can accurately search by screen resolution? The price comparison sites I've tried so far only seem to allow filtering on screen size rather than resolution, but seeing as there's thousands of different makes and models out there it could take me all year to trawl through the options lists to see if a screen upgrade is available, as not many models seem to be offering WUXGA as standard, or as options.

So far the most reasonable priced one is a 'refurbished' Dell Precision M90 for 300 quid, but wary of it as it's a couple of years old now. Apart from the Acer Aspire 8920G (with a 18.4" 1920x1080) at just under £800, the other handful I've found are well over a grand, which is a bit more than I'd like to pay.

Added on 12/10/08:

Still looking for options. Found another company, mainly reselling Dell outlet stuff by the looks of it, who have several Dell XPS M1530 (15.4") for sale from around £550, offering WUXGA and also (probably more approriate at that screen size) WSGXA+ (1680 x 1050). Looks like a better option than the M90 for several reasons, even at the higher price. Just need to clarify what warranty they come with. Maybe I'll keep checking the Dell Outlet site and cut out the middleman!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom