Question AntiMode 8033SII Question

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Just after a bit of advice as just picked up one of the later 8033S that had the SII software installed.

So i had already done EQ and Calibration via my MC12-HD EQ before getting the Antimode and this was just a bit of an experiment really as i don't think i have any massive issues with my twin subs but wanted to give this a try.

I've run the AntiMode calibration. everything seems to have gone well, no clipping warning light and afterwards subsonic filter applied. When the setup calibration was done via the MC12-HD EQ it had set the Subs to -7dB which i have upped to about -3dB Question is should i set this to 0 or should i re run the MC12-HD EQ setup and calibration again ?

Calibration and EQ on the MC12-HD EQ is a bit of a faff as you have to connect up the 4 mics (a bit awkward and fiddly once you've got all your leads connected) Should i turn the subs off or remove them so they aren't EQ'd again and just go with whatever the AntiMode has set ?

Any advice appreciated as i want to get the best out of this.

gscholefield

Hi
you should re run your MC12-HD EQ again after antimode, try increasing the sub gain a little to get a reading close to 0.
Gary

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Hi
you should re run your MC12-HD EQ again after antimode, try increasing the sub gain a little to get a reading close to 0.
Gary
What about the Subs as the MC12-HD EQ will EQ the subs again, i've seen some people suggesting to switch the subs off.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Don't understand whats going on now, just run the MC12-HD EQ Setup calibration and EQ again and now it's set the subs at -14.5dB :eek:

Surely i shouldn't be bumping them up to 0dB from that ?

gscholefield

My sub is eq again after antimode by my amp as suggested on page 6 of the antimode manual seems to work really well in my set up, I haven't tried disconnecting the sub before eq with the amp. What I should have put earlier is decrease the gain not increase (sorry). How does it sound at -14.5db ? it would seem to suggest that the gain is a bit high on the sub.
Gary

D

Deleted member 598831

Hi Frank. I bought an antimode 8033s2 to work along side the anthem ARC. I found the antimode did a better job with the bass eq than the anthem, possibly just my room, who knows. Firstly I balanced the subs output to 78db, then ran the antimode calibration. This resulted in a slightly lower output, even though the antimode adds 3bd to the signal, but guessing that it had reduced peaks resulting in a lower spl reading. Then I re balanced the subs to the 78db using the gains on the subs. With the antimode active but with no lift modes engaged, only the subsonic filter. Then running ARC Its initial setup was -0.5db on the subs. I was happy with that and left the gains alone. Looking at the ARC graphs, before & after antimode, it really helped the low end of the subs.

Hope that's of some use.

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that Steven, i'll give that a try as I have been messing about with my subs quite a bit recently and want to give the antimode a fair crack at making an improvement to my setup.
To be honest this is just a bit of an experiment as I wasn't unhappy with how my subs were performing anyway, but would like to see if the antimode does make a difference.

D

Deleted member 598831

To be honest I only bought it as Bk had a sale on, then I could always move it on. I too was happy with the eq the anthem did, then I tried the antimode and it makes the subs run lower and flatter over the ARC

Plus more blue led lights to match over my 8033s lol

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
My sub is eq again after antimode by my amp as suggested on page 6 of the antimode manual seems to work really well in my set up, I haven't tried disconnecting the sub before eq with the amp. What I should have put earlier is decrease the gain not increase (sorry). How does it sound at -14.5db ? it would seem to suggest that the gain is a bit high on the sub.
Gary
If I turn my Sub's down to their lowest volume setting, I'm still getting a reading of -10dB which still seems a bit extreme ?
I'm going to have a bit more of a play this evening, think i'll basically start from scratch again with the Sub's after I have level matched them prior to any calibration.

gscholefield

another thing to try is to run some test tones from a disc through your oppo and measure the speaker levels, I found this method more accurate than using test tones from the amp. The levels from the test tones on my amp were as they read, the sub was -10db but on trying a test disc through BD player the levels were spot on.
Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom