Anti-Virus free or buy

AlsJos

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have used AVG for a few years now on my laptop and had no problems.
But I'm in proccess of building myself a high spec desktop and don't want to take any chances with my new PC.
  1. Is AVG my best free option or is there a better free Anti-Virus ?
  2. Or is there a better Anti-Virus to buy?
:lease:

What about Microsoft security essentials. Its free. See here

I moved from AVG a while ago and its far better.

I moved from AVG a while ago and its far better.

How so?

I use AVG free and it's been pretty much excellent, albeit a bit resource-hungry when updating.
If there are good reasons for changing, I might give it a whirl.

You can use freeware if you will update often., if not please buy a good antivirus...

Don't understand your point. Free or pay solutions need regular definition updates to be at their most effective.

MSE provide daily updates via Windows Update.

You can use freeware if you will update often., if not please buy a good antivirus...

this make no sense, most Internet Security/AV suites will often check for regular updates as otherwise their definitions will be out of date :smashin:

to answer OP, I used freeware before, out of them I preferred Avast but saying that, I would still go for a paid subscription

when you are talking about to make your pc more secure then why don't you go for paid antivirus?

i would say paid if you wish you pc always run fast & more secured otherwise you can try free version of mcaffee/MSE/avir etc. if you are not ****** off loosing your data or other softwares installed on pc

Hi all
I have used AVG for a few years now on my laptop and had no problems.
But I'm in proccess of building myself a high spec desktop and don't want to take any chances with my new PC.
  1. Is AVG my best free option or is there a better free Anti-Virus ?
  2. Or is there a better Anti-Virus to buy?
:lease:

AVGs pretty poor these days
AVAST is supposed to be the lightest free av to use these days
I use AVIRA which has better virus definitions
MSE is also good (Sort of inbetween the 2)

As for paying, Kasperskys probably the best all in one. But it slows computers down a tad. Most of the others have VERY poor firewalls (Mcafee, Norton, NOD 32 etc etc)

I always found Kaspersky very light on system resources even when I ran it on older machine and even NIS 2010 doesn't slow down my netbook!

I always found Kaspersky very light on system resources even when I ran it on older machine and even NIS 2010 doesn't slow down my netbook!

Maybe it just doesnt like certain applications. Ive seen it running pretty slow on many computers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom