Anti reflective material

Ossiepop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a Yamaha soundbar sitting in front of my TV on a dedicated AV unit. It's got a lovely brushed metal top which although looks very nice reflects everything showing on the screen which has become increasingly annoying as I have effectively given the TV a black surrounding to frame it.

IMG_9686_zpsfk77io9o.jpg

IMG_9704_zpsxd7ej4a1.jpg

IMG_9655_zps1eqf7azs.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with the same problem and if so what the solution was. I have so far found the material below which I'm sure I could cut to size to cover the top but was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative

http://www.edmundoptics.co.uk/lab-production/general-tools/light-absorbing-black-out-material/54585/

Many thanks

I have the top of my centre speaker very close to the bottom of my projector screen. And although the speaker cabinet is not a gloss or shiny finish, it still reflects light from the screen.

I've tried various types of material to cover the reflection, including photographic back drop material, similar to the one you've posted, a black tea towel and a couple of old black T shirts . . . . different materials. One of the T shirts is winning so far but that's not perfect.
I think I might try some speaker grill cloth next.

I have the top of my centre speaker very close to the bottom of my projector screen. And although the speaker cabinet is not a gloss or shiny finish, it still reflects light from the screen.

I've tried various types of material to cover the reflection, including photographic back drop material, similar to the one you've posted, a black tea towel and a couple of old black T shirts . . . . different materials. One of the T shirts is winning so far but that's not perfect.
I think I might try some speaker grill cloth next.

Thank you for the reply

Do you think the anti reflective material is largely a waste of time then?

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time per se, it's just finding the right one. I tried one type and it didn't work, or it didn't work to a degree that I found acceptable.

For the speaker cloth, I've got a simple test for that, although I havnt tried yet. I'm going to remove the grill from a speaker and place it on top of my centre speaker to see how it works.

Find a local sign shop and ask for some matte black self adhesive vinyl - which they use for cut vinyl signage etc. This is easy to cut and apply and you can peel it off if it does not work or you don't like the look of it.

Cheers guys, I'll try a few home remedies and the local sign shop first before splashing out too much then

Cheers guys, I'll try a few home remedies and the local sign shop first before splashing out too much then

Speaker cloth actually works very well. You can buy it cheaply from Maplins.

I know this does not answer your question but having the surrounding of a tv completely black is not the best idea for your viewing. Having some low background lighting behind helps with the contrast etc. on the tv. This is why a lot of people use led rope lights behind their tv.

I can't find the cloth on Maplins site, could someone link it ?

I'm going to pop over to my local branch if it's in store.

I know this does not answer your question but having the surrounding of a tv completely black is not the best idea for your viewing. Having some low background lighting behind helps with the contrast etc. on the tv. This is why a lot of people use led rope lights behind their tv.

It's OK I have 6500K lights emitting from behind the curtains as below, I was already aware of the benefits;

IMG_9699_zpsoxe9wuix.jpg

I've just been over to Maplins and you're right, they don't sell it.

I think I'll order the smallest piece possible from Whalleys.

I've just been over to Maplins and you're right, they don't sell it.

I think I'll order the smallest piece possible from Whalleys.

How much of a rush are you in Dodge. It looks like the smallest amount you can order would be 1 metre x 1.14 metre for just over ÂŁ21 excluding their delivery costs. I would personally only need about 25cm x 1.14m so if the remainder would be enough for you we could split all the costs to make it a little cheaper for us both??

Sounds good. I'm in no major rush so whenever suits me.

I'm happy to cover half of it or more if you only need less than that plus posting out to me obviously.

Are you ok doing the ordering ?

The bloody robbing gits :eek:

Yes mate, all good to go :smashin:

Let me know how you want some money sending over and ill do it today.

Cheers ;)

OK cool. Yeah it does seem a lot for a largish company to be charging for postage but as it's quite a long item it may well just be based on that.

Nah it's ok for now. You can pay me when I get it and I know it's survived it's journey intact, maybe a Paypal gift would be best payment if your able?. I'll pay half of all costs for the bit I need, no desire to be cut throat about it! Hopefully I'll be able to get it to you for less than ÂŁ8.25 though!! You might even be able to help out someone else on here if you have any left over when your done.

I'll be in touch when it arrives, enjoy your Christmas in the mean time!!

Something to be aware of there is a Nap to the Devore, if its not the right way its not as black as it could be. I made up a wall panel and then had to redo it as it was the wrong way and was very obviously not as black.
I drove to Whalleys to collect mine as it was same cost to collect as to have it delivered.

OK cool. Yeah it does seem a lot for a largish company to be charging for postage but as it's quite a long item it may well just be based on that.

Nah it's ok for now. You can pay me when I get it and I know it's survived it's journey intact, maybe a Paypal gift would be best payment if your able?. I'll pay half of all costs for the bit I need, no desire to be cut throat about it! Hopefully I'll be able to get it to you for less than ÂŁ8.25 though!! You might even be able to help out someone else on here if you have any left over when your done.

I'll be in touch when it arrives, enjoy your Christmas in the mean time!!

Fantastic :smashin:

Merry Christmas to you to :thumbsup:

Something to be aware of there is a Nap to the Devore, if its not the right way its not as black as it could be. I made up a wall panel and then had to redo it as it was the wrong way and was very obviously not as black.
I drove to Whalleys to collect mine as it was same cost to collect as to have it delivered.

Thanks. Thats worth noting before it's cut and put in place.

Cheers

That a pretty cool room you've got yourself there!!

Looks to work perfectly on the centre, excited about getting it now! I take it it will be fairly obvious which the best way around will be once I get it and try it now I know it has a nap on it??

And you never know unreel, depending on how much he needs Dodge might have enough left over when he's finished for you sort the tops of your L/R speakers if you speak to him nicely!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom