Question Anti mode question

Wswan85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just completed my lounge decoration properly integrating my home cinema, now have a 5.2.4 Atmos set up - Denon X4500 running MA Bronze, 4x MA C265 in-ceiling speakers and dual BK Monolith DF subs (with an integrated recessed Sapphire 106inch electric screen and Optoma UHD51), love the set up - awesome - but I want to get the subs right/better.....

Don't get me wrong it sounds good, but struggling to balance and integrate the two Monoliths how I want them, I want deep thumping bass when required but without the booming effect.

I'm not an expert at all in this, but just when I get the bass right and sounding 'cinema like' with the deep thumping scenes in movies, another scene will start and the boom sounds toon over powering - very hard to explain.

Tried playing with multiple settings - speakers currently on 90-100hz (all small), bass crossover LFE 120hz, on both subs phase is 0, frequency max 120hz, He Gain 0 and Low level gain 12 o clock (connected via single mono). Both subs are DF and sitting on 32mm granite plinths as my lounge floor is raised on joists. Both subs are at the front of the room flanking either side of the TV unit (my only option). Room is rectangular 3.5m x 5.5m, so I'm sitting circa 3m from the subs.

Will an Anti Mode help with this, something like the 8033SII? Or am in wasting my money? Anyone have a similar experience where it's been worth while and worked?

Appreciate 2x monoliths is a lot of power, but I wanted to stop peaks and nulls in certain seating positions and it's achieved that beautifully. I had one before the decoration and just added the second, fantastic subs.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Will

The antinode 8033SII should resolve your problem of room modes and peaks dominating lower frequencies. It's a simple plug and play device that can work wonders in this department and as mentioned above a must in any decent home theatre setup (bass eq).

Along with the antimode, if you're feeling brave, basic understanding and use of Room Eq Wizard (free software) can dramatically help further fine tuning of multiple subs.

There are are other devices such as the MiniDSP range that require greater user input but promise even better results based on feedback of long established audio forum members.

I would second at least giving REW a go. Being able to visualise the responses is unbelievably helpful, you get a much better sense of what challenges you’re facing.

It’s nowhere near as complicated as it once was and there are plenty of members with experience to help you out.

Once you can see what you're working with you can see what kind of effect an antimode (or whatever other room correction tool you use) is having.

I even have a radio shack SPL meter I'd be happy to loan out if you like.

I would say you won't get much improvement with an antimode because you already have multieq xt32 room correction in your avr. If you only had xt I would say yes as that doesn't do the subs as well.

If I were you I'd get setup with REW and do some sweeps. Then get a minidsp 2x4 hd to eq your subs further. You'll then be able to BEQ your movies and you'll love it :)

Hi all, thanks very much for your advice, sounds like there's mixed opinions but having a go with REW would be a wise first step, I did wonder that. I just struggle with time due to work and children!

Has anyone had any success with the Denon EQ phone app?

If I were you I'd get setup with REW and do some sweeps. Then get a minidsp 2x4 hd to eq your subs further. You'll then be able to BEQ your movies and you'll love it :)

Wish I understood that, sounds good!

Hi all, thanks very much for your advice, sounds like there's mixed opinions but having a go with REW would be a wise first step, I did wonder that. I just struggle with time due to work and children!

Has anyone had any success with the Denon EQ phone app?
I almost bought the auddessy app until I read the reviews on it :rotfl:

Yes thought the same! Unbelievably bad. I know someone who has used it and said it was good for tweaking to preference but that's the only opinion I've ever heard!

Yes thought the same! Unbelievably bad. I know someone who has used it and said it was good for tweaking to preference but that's the only opinion I've ever heard!
Iv herd the same. To much hit and miss for me

It's not perfect but it's quite handy if you want to copy and edit different curves or correction frequency limits then upload them to the AVR without having to re-run the entire measurement process again. The drawback is it's a bit fiddly to edit them on a phone.

There are a couple of options for the target curves as well as the ability to turn off midrange compensation. These aren't available if you use the AVR measurement process.

The other bonus is you can get a rough idea of what the subwoofer is actually doing in your room. The graph for that isn't shown in the AVR.

The latest firmware update also fixed the subwoofer roll-off below 20hz.

I bought the app ages ago, discovered the 20hz roll off and never used it again, as it's been fixed I might have to try it again at some point, as Jase says it has some useful features. Shame there isn't a Windows 10 app for it as you really need a larger screen so a tablet would be better suited than a phone..

I bought the app ages ago, discovered the 20hz roll off and never used it again, as it's been fixed I might have to try it again at some point, as Jase says it has some useful features. Shame there isn't a Windows 10 app for it as you really need a larger screen so a tablet would be better suited than a phone..

I'm not 100% sure but I believe there's an emulator/program (Bluestacks?!?) that will let you run Android Apps on a PC/Laptop.

Not tried it myself but saw it mentioned over on AVS.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe there's an emulator/program (Bluestacks?!?) that will let you run Android Apps on a PC/Laptop.

Not tried it myself but saw it mentioned over on AVS.

Yes bluestacks is a good program as an Android emulator but also Nox do one as well which is pretty good too (no affiliation with either but I have used both)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom