Anti Mode 8033 or Dual Core

Streamer73

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have an Anti Mode 8033C in my set up (dual PSA S1510, Y cable from 8033 to subs) and am wondering whether I’d see any benefit from upgrading to the Dual Core? Subs are in the front corners, equidistant to the MLP but the room is open to the left hand side which seems to ‘steer’ some of the bass to the right hand side - sounds great but can be a bit lopsided sometimes.

Would the Dual Mode be able to help here or give an improvement over my current 8033C? Receiver is a 6500H so has dual subwoofer outputs (summed I believe) and I think the AM does a better job than Sub EQ HT on the Denon - I disable Audyssey for music (so just the 8033 doing any EQ) and use Reference for movies.

Any advice appreciated!

The Dual Core does time align dual subs but you're paying a lot of money for that feature if that's all you want it for. I had one for a while and it worked a treat in that respect. Prior to that I had an 8033C but only when I had a single subwoofer.

Perhaps something like a MiniDSP HD might be a better option?

Personally, I've gone back to using just Audyssey XT32 for my dual PSA's. Works well and is a lot less hassle.

Thanks Jase - I found XT32 ‘strangled’ the lowest bass while the 8033 kept things smoother and improved the lower bass response at the same time. Not sure I want to go down the miniDSP/REW rabbit hole though, I’ll be forever fiddling! Would the Dual Core only time align the subs or should I see a benefit similar (or hopefully) better than I get with the 8033 in terms of EQ?

I’m going to do a full recalibration when the kids are back at school next week and maybe do some tweaking in the Audyssey app so may well stick with what I have after that….

Which PSA subs do you have by the way?

I found XT32 ‘strangled’ the lowest bass

Did you use it on the app? You can tweak the curve. I leave my sub levels alone after Audyssey run but I tweak the curve up 2dB (ish) at 20Hz and put another point in at 30Hz so that it is back level again.

P.S. It's the Sub EQ HT that offers separate alignment for two subs, not XT32. There are AVRs that have XT32 but not Sub EQ HT (e.g. quite a few Onkyos). Just saying so no one buys an AVR with XT32 and assumes it will do it.

Thanks Jase - I found XT32 ‘strangled’ the lowest bass while the 8033 kept things smoother and improved the lower bass response at the same time. Not sure I want to go down the miniDSP/REW rabbit hole though, I’ll be forever fiddling! Would the Dual Core only time align the subs or should I see a benefit similar (or hopefully) better than I get with the 8033 in terms of EQ?

I’m going to do a full recalibration when the kids are back at school next week and maybe do some tweaking in the Audyssey app so may well stick with what I have after that….

Which PSA subs do you have by the way?

Strange as XT32 doesn't do that to my subs. Overall results can be affected by mic placement and pattern so that might be worth experimenting with.

The Dual Core has more filters/resolution than the 8033C so should give better results. It does other things as well so I'd download it's manual and have a read through to see if they'd be of use to you.

I have a pair of S1811's. :)

Last edited:
Did you use it on the app? You can tweak the curve. I leave my sub levels alone after Audyssey run but I tweak the curve up 2dB (ish) at 20Hz and put another point in at 30Hz so that it is back level again.

P.S. It's the Sub EQ HT that offers separate alignment for two subs, not XT32. There are AVRs that have XT32 but not Sub EQ HT (e.g. quite a few Onkyos). Just saying so no one buys an AVR with XT32 and assumes it will do it.

Yes, got the app, I find it quite fiddly though when trying to adjust the low end curve - I also prefer Audyssey off when listening to music so the 8033 does a great job IMO there.

Good point re: XT32/Sub EQ HT!

@Streamer73

Out of curiosity where have you got the room size control set on your PSA's?

When I did the original calibrations it was set at the mid point, now on large as an experiment but will be recalibrating next week at some point….

When I did the original calibrations it was set at the mid point, now on large as an experiment but will be recalibrating next week at some point….

I found Large the better setting to start with so I'd see how recalibration goes with that. :thumbsup:

At least doors can be closed - we have the old opening for our patio doors to the left so far from ideal. Also my room is smaller than yours so don’t feel so bad about my puny 15” subs now :laugh:

At least doors can be closed - we have the old opening for our patio doors to the left so far from ideal. Also my room is smaller than yours so don’t feel so bad about my puny 15” subs now :laugh:

Those 15's aren't puny! I had an S1500 previously and not only was it very punchy it had oodles of low end as well. I originally planned on a pair but decided to make the jump to 18's instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom