1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti ghost aerial

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by scooby do, Mar 26, 2003.

1. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Can anyone help me with the following problem? I live about three quarters of a mile from some gasometers I think these are giving me ghosting. I feel that the TV signal is being reflected into the back of the aerial. It causes about 3 ghosts to the right of the image and also a transparent band on the left hand side of the screen. I also am able to receive Meridian TV which is not even broadcast from the transmitter so this confirms that the current aerial does not have good signal rejection. I live at Romford Essex, so am not that far away from the transmitter (Crystal Palace I think). What I need is an aerial that has excellent unwanted signal rejection – anti ghost properties, it does not have to be high gain as I think the actual signal strength is quite good. I have tried digital freeview but I can’t stand the compression they use as you lose fine detail. I look forward to your replies.

2. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,264
    Log Periodic aerials generally give the best results when ghosting is a problem. See here for something from CPC that may help.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that satcure has a number of aerials listed as "antighost" in its price list. If they aren't suitable then I guess nothing is.

As you are close to the transmiter, avoid high gain aerials. You need a compromise with a good reflector but not many forward elements.

Also bear in mind that your proximity to the transmitter probably means that your aerial cable is picking up signals from all directions.

My first step would be to replace it with proper satellite cable such as H109 or CT100.

I think Freeview (or some form of digital transmission) is here to stay. Eventually market forces are going to drive out analogue. It could be 5 years or 15 years but it will go. Better get used to those artifacts!

Fman

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Have a look at this site Wrights aerials there is an article about ghosting there.

A log periodic would hopefully work otherwise it looks kind of complicated but the info in it should keep you one step ahead of the aerial installer.

5. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Whats happening is you are receiving direct and reflected signals thats what causes the ghosting thats a fact.If you have a good aerial getting a better one might not help changing the location will make the biggest difference.If your aerial is crap try looking here for a good one but if your receiving the multipath signal from the front changing it for something better won't help much.A high gain aerial lower down the house is usually the best bet.Look out for SPAM no such thing as an antighost aerial look for something that says helps with ghosting.Blake aerials have changed there discription of a balun after they got my email :nono:shame on them.They do sell good aerials though got one myself.:D

6. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have put my grid type aerial on a temporary mast that only goes about half way up the roof line and can report the ghosting seems to be a lot better. Guess I won't be able to tell if it will totally be cured until it is on the chimney. Thanks for the links guys, the wrights one has some good photos of some bad installs and is worth a look as they are quite amusing. I now am in two minds as to whether to try a log peridoic as it appears the offer a good success rate.

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Looked at the wrights site read the artical on ghosts and it looks like they need to up date it.Theorys from 1978 on aerials have now been blown out of the water allthough the basic aerial design is the same.Changing that grid Aerial for a log might help but a high gain wideband would be beter, then find the best place to put it.

8. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Ok guys I have had the new Triax grid installed and almost have a ghost free picture! Looks like I may have made the right decision. I have a slight pres-ignal which I seem to have reduced by removing AFT and tuning to the minus 10 to 12 also I have enabled the built in attenuator on my TV for all channels and that seems to have cleared it up a bit as well. So almost perfect but not quite. Of course now in the back of my mind I am thinking if iIwent log periodic would it be 100% but guess I'll never know