1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-copying CD's and SonicStage

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by scottydog, Apr 7, 2005.

1. scottydog

scottydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose the sensible answer to this is no BUT is there a way around getting CD's such as Faithless No Roots and Dido White Flag copied onto SonicStage? They have anti-copying technology built in and want to use there own playing device when you stick them in the drive.

2. Calza

Calza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't no want to do but my blue nile disk wouldn't work on wmp and ss but it was just the 1st trak everything else was fine.

3. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Unbelievable. I know and understand how the record labels want to cut down on illegal file sharing, but it is ridiculous that they are not letting you rip Cds to your computer. Do they not realise people have mp3 players?! It annoys me so much.

5. danwalton

danwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    also, I thought it was the law that you are legally able to 'back up' CDs you own, such as audio and software (i'm not talking about making pirate copies here), so surely not allowing you to do this is in breech of consumer rights...?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    It annoys me as well. Surely if you are not supposed to rip to your computer then all MP3 players are obsolete :confused: I've not had a problem with any CDs not ripping to iTunes yet, but have noticed that some do take over 20 minutes to rip :eek: I do check before I buy CDs these days to try and see if there's any copy protection to stop me importing to iTunes, if so I don't buy it.

7. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can rip most copy protected CD's using ITUNES, rip as uncompressed WAV and then to ATRAC or directly to MP3 if that floats your boat?

8. robpok

robpok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setting fire to the CDs in question is the ONLY way to get around the problem. :smashin:

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,968
    If you do a bit for bit copy of the Cd, then rip the "backup" you'll be fine :smashin:

10. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    There are numerous methods, one of the first copy protection systems could be defeated simply by holding down shift while the disc was loading up. I would try to disable the protection strip, which is the visible circle of data you can see, this has been put out of action by nothing more complex than the sticky parts of post-it notes covering the whole copy protect circle, you could also try cellotape. Both solutions are gleaned from some other audio forum I was trawling a while back.

Did you know that there is no such thing as a copy protected audio cd?, all such cd's are not allowed to be called such and can no longer carry the little cd symbol. They now have to be sold as audio data discs if they carry this audio protection. Not sure if this applies in the UK yet.

11. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    You are right, any disc with Copy Control cannot be called a CD