Anthony Gallo's , whihc sub which amp?

redcat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi not really a speaker question but a speaker/amp/sub questions so i thought i would post it here.

Looking to get some Gallo speakers as the mrs loves the look.

could i habe 3 adiva's upfront and then get some micro ti's for the surround at a later date. will this be ok just having well 3.1 is it? i know there will not be 5.1 for movies but for music etc it should be ok? really not sure on the sub at the mo,suggested the velodyne but i just think that s a little overkill for my 1st floor victorian flat, neighbours will go mad! anyone combined this with a BK XLS200? From readint this forum it seems a good choice, any diff between the DF or FF or just asthetcs?
Also AMPs what are people using? Denon 2307 any good or the cheap Onkyo 674? I have heard the Onkyo is not good with the AG's. also I have been suggested that the Micro Ti's arent that loud and Adivas are better, this true ? Is it best waiting for new HDMI 1.3 amps as i have a PS3. so many questions! cheers

Hi not really a speaker question but a speaker/amp/sub questions so i thought i would post it here.

Looking to get some Gallo speakers as the mrs loves the look.

could i habe 3 adiva's upfront and then get some micro ti's for the surround at a later date. will this be ok just having well 3.1 is it? i know there will not be 5.1 for movies but for music etc it should be ok? really not sure on the sub at the mo,suggested the velodyne but i just think that s a little overkill for my 1st floor victorian flat, neighbours will go mad! anyone combined this with a BK XLS200? From readint this forum it seems a good choice, any diff between the DF or FF or just asthetcs?
Also AMPs what are people using? Denon 2307 any good or the cheap Onkyo 674? I have heard the Onkyo is not good with the AG's. also I have been suggested that the Micro Ti's arent that loud and Adivas are better, this true ? Is it best waiting for new HDMI 1.3 amps as i have a PS3. so many questions! cheers

Hi redcat.

Ideally, if you are going for a 5.1 set-up then having all 5 speakers the same will give you the best cohesive and tonal-matching sound. However due to the Nucleaus Micro and the A'diva using the same 3" driver, mixing them will give you very similar results therefore many people have 3x A'Divas for the front and 2x Micro for the surrounds.

You should note that the original Micro/A'diva and the newer Ti range uses a different 3" driver so mixing the older 3" drivers with the newer Ti ones might not work as well as using the same ones i.e the newer Ti drivers have a noticably smoother top-end making the older drivers noticably brighter sounding in direct comparison and which sounds better is entirely down to your own preferences.

I own the newer Micro Ti and improvements over the original Micro is that it has a better bass response, slightly more dynamic, sounding noticably fuller and that translates to a bigger soundstage especially in movies thus it becomes more enveloping - I would even go as far as to say that it may even rival the original A'divas full-bodied sound.

Velodyne makes great subwoofers and alot of Gallo owners have their set-up paired up with a Velodyne subwoofer, however any decent subwoofer should interact well with the Gallos.

Lastly, the better the amp/receiver is, the better the Gallos will sound. I currently use a Denon 3805 and that works really well with the Ti and I should imagine that a 2307 should do a pretty good job aswell.

Btw, regarding the A'diva sounding louder than the Micros - they use the same 3" drivers so one shouldn't sound louder than the other if configured properly and the Micros have no problem playing at reference levels, however I personally think that is too loud but at least I know I can go up to 11 if I wanted to lol.

Hope all that has been helpful to you and if you have any other questions regarding the Gallos then I'll try my best to answer them.

many thanks, great reply :)

I think i am now looking to get the Sony 5200ES which hopefully go well with the Gallos.
I am also looking to get the 5.1 package from gallo with the TR1 sub, for a first floor flat i think the sub will be powerful enough. if not i can get another at a later date. thanks for help. anyone has a demo of these in London? I know i can get the gallos for £850 but i bet a demo shop will try and charge a lot more for them and i will feel guilty for wasting there time!!

I really need to demo a 5.1 or 7.1 gallo setup.. I just still cant get it into my head a speaker that small can create a good sound at decent levels, even though everyone says they're great allrounders.

many thanks, great reply :)

I think i am now looking to get the Sony 5200ES which hopefully go well with the Gallos.
I am also looking to get the 5.1 package from gallo with the TR1 sub, for a first floor flat i think the sub will be powerful enough. if not i can get another at a later date. thanks for help. anyone has a demo of these in London? I know i can get the gallos for £850 but i bet a demo shop will try and charge a lot more for them and i will feel guilty for wasting there time!!

The Sony 5200ES at 100w per channel should work fine with the gallos, however the Ti range is slightly more power hungry than the original gallos (100w vs 120w) but you should be able to play them near reference levels without any problems.

If you do a bit of research you can get the 5.1 package cheaper for £850.

Btw I assume you are interested in the original Micro 5.1 package?

I really need to demo a 5.1 or 7.1 gallo setup.. I just still cant get it into my head a speaker that small can create a good sound at decent levels, even though everyone says they're great allrounders.

APatel,

I have owned a 5.1 set-up consisting of the superb Mackie HR624 active monitoring speakers (THX pm3 certified) and in the same 12 x 15 feet living-room the original Micros and the newer Micro Ti's can easily go as loud as the Mackies whilst still maintaining clear with no distortion to be heard - it really baffles the mind but then these are high-performance speakers.

I do miss the Mackies I sold a while ago but then the Ti's I own now do offer everything I need in a speaker i.e great looking, has a very neutral and un-coloured sound that is very transparent but most importantly being able to play at very very high SPL levels without distortion - there is less fatique on the ears due to a smoother top-end vs the original Micros.

Hello all

redcat - I'd go with an all Micro Ti system; you'll arrive at 5.1 quicker if you are doing it bit by bit and they do work very well.

In the UK its only the Micro not the Micro Ti that are available as a 'Home Theatre in a Box' Discounted package - that said its still a great package for 850.00 GBP (inc TR1) - though the extended HF on the Micro Ti is tempting if the piggy bank is flexible.

APatel - what size is your room and what amplification do you have? The Gallo Micro and Micro Ti combined with a suitable Sub and AV Receiver will deliver relatively high SPL's in fairly large rooms without sounding distressed.

Joe

thanks again for replies,

I am looking to get 5 of the Micro Ti, and now looking at a MJ Accoustic MK100 sub at the mo. Gonna buy the 5200ES this evening, well order it in. I have been told the Micros maybe too small for my room but i wont be playing it that loud anyway.

You could always try your luck and go for a 2nd hand set...

When I originally went for an AV setup I managed to pick up 4 x A'Diva's and 2 x Micro's at fantastic prices from the classifieds here. I paid £400 for the 6 speakers and bought a sub separately.

Lots of feedback on the TR1 sub being the weak link in the system; I've run mine with a BK XLS200 MKII and now an SVS SB12Plus - fantastic!

thanks again for replies,

I am looking to get 5 of the Micro Ti, and now looking at a MJ Accoustic MK100 sub at the mo. Gonna buy the 5200ES this evening, well order it in. I have been told the Micros maybe too small for my room but i wont be playing it that loud anyway.

Whats the size of your room and who told you the Micros were too small?

size of the room is about 12x18 foot, with high victorian ceilings. Was told by someone else on another forum they would stuggle. However only half the room would be used as the other half is like a dining room bit.

good news i picked up the Sony 5200ES in silver for £599 from a Sony Store, none in stock but taken payment whihc i thought was cheap. not gotta get the gallos and either BK sub or Mj acoustics one :)

Hello redcat

The Gallo Micro Ti will work fine in that size of room and depending on where you place them you can 'focus' the sound around your screen and seating position.

Joe

size of the room is about 12x18 foot, with high victorian ceilings. Was told by someone else on another forum they would stuggle. However only half the room would be used as the other half is like a dining room bit.

good news i picked up the Sony 5200ES in silver for £599 from a Sony Store, none in stock but taken payment whihc i thought was cheap. not gotta get the gallos and either BK sub or Mj acoustics one :)

If the listening possition was 18 feet away from the front speakers then yes it may possibly struggle to reach very high SPL levels cleanly (as would alot of small satelite speakers at that distance) but as you won't be pushing them at high levels you would be fine.

However as you will only be using half of the room, the Micros won't even be breaking a swet.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom